Closed Push Button To open push button?

The freaking idiots at RadioShack told me the wrong thing. I need a push button that completes the circuit when I push the button. I asked them if I need a closed or open button. The retard said that it's like a fridge door, when it's closed, the light is off and vise versa. Well he was completely wrong cause when I tested it, it stops the circuit not completes it.

What I want to know is if it's possible to make this button into an open button so that when I push the button, the circuit completes? I don't want to go back to Radio Shack again. Please help me anyone.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Irv S
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Sorry, but no.

What he sold you was what is called a a 'normally closed' push-button switch.

What you want is called a 'normally open' push-button switch.

In momentary contact switch/relay terminology, 'normally' is 'unactivated' and

'open' is 'off', and 'closed' is 'on'.

• 4 years ago

I'd try going into My Computer, right clicking the CD/DVD Drive and choosing 'Eject'. If that works, than you have a problem with the button on the Drive. If it doesn't work, it's stuck. When my Drive got stuck, my mom used to open it with a smooth knife. It always worked, but I wouldn't recommand it unless you're really desperate.

• 10 years ago

if you have a relay as well you could invert it but the best option is go back and get the one you need

its not rely worth messing about with relays. normally you cant take switches apart

there just not made for that

Source(s): im an electrician and engineer and have studied electronics
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.