promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkBeer, Wine & Spirits · 1 decade ago

Red wine good for your health, when taken in moderation: true or false?

I've heard a lot of hype over how red wine good for health when taken in small amounts [in moderation]. Some researchers agree, and others disagree.

Facts/links are appreciated.

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Very Possible: Wine, especially red wine, contains antioxidants and flavinoids that are believed to promote healthy heart function. Resveratrol, which is a compound found concentrated in red grape skins, is being studied and is thought to help balance blood sugar and help control cholesterol while improving smooth muscle function. It also may have other unknown factors that help to fight cancer. While many studies have been done nothing is completely conclusive which is why there is still a debate on the issue.

On the other hand it is proven that digestifs and wines after dinner do help to improve digestion. This is a long standing fact that is shown in wine drinking countries around the world. Scans and studies of the colon and liver are actually BETTER if you have a glass a day with or after meals. One of the many reasons that this may be is because the alcohol is a mild diuretic in low concentrations and helps your body to flush toxins.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resveratrol http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/red-wine/hb00089 Personal research on the issue, Liquor Store Manager, and an 8th generation herbal practitioner.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In addition to the the resveratrol (mentioned by AARON G) in red wine does increase your HDLs (good cholesterol) and have numerous other health benefits, red wine also contains flavonoid phenolics.

These powerful antioxidants are also found in high concentrations in the super-fruit acai, pomegranate, green tea, and blueberries, all of which i'm sure you've heard have many health benefits.

While there are many benefits to getting these nutrients, wine should not be your ultimate medium for them. Although a glass every now and then certainly doesn't hurt.

I guess the old adage stands true: All good things in moderation.

• xaxorm
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Correction: ALCOHOL, in moderate amounts (no more than 1-2 a day) is good for health. The most compelling studies have to do with alcoholic drinks in general, reducing stroke, diabetes, heart disease and increasing longevity, not the special properties of red wine.

• 1 decade ago

Well I've heard a lot of it agreed that drinking wine moderately is just really fine to your health and many already proved it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

True 1 glass of wine a little moderation is better for your health.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

True. 1/2 glass of red wine per day is enough to attain the benefits. Red wine can increase appetite, thin blood and contains a compound called resveratrol which is a cancer fighter, and makes chemotherapy more effective. Pinot noir contains the most resveratrol.

• 1 decade ago

If you drink that small amount probably. For me, Wine is like potato chips, it's hard to just have one potato chip and it's hard to have one glass of wine.

• 1 decade ago

One and up to two glasses a day is supposed to be good for you.

They key to this is that you can not have more than two per day. You can not have three glasses one day and then one the next. It does not work that way.

So yes one and up to two (small) glasses a day is actually good for you.

Source(s): Me: I drink two glasses a day and feel great. he he
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

True. But the wine I am drinking is not red :(

• 1 decade ago

True, but moderation is key. Studies have shown that it can actually be good for your heart.

Source(s): Documentaries
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.