How exactly do the people in the movies do this?

Okay,first of all,I love to make movies.Its my passion.Well,mostly I like to do all the special effects and editing.But more to the point,I would like to know how the people in movies get the scratchiness sound out of the shot.For example,if they are filming a scene outside,there might be noises of like lawn mowers,and bugs,and just noises coming from outside.But when you watch outside scenes,there is no buzzing from any of these things.How do they accomplish this? Do they use a boom microphone? Or do they film like on a sound stage,to make it look more realistic?Or do they just use both?

Thanks!

• James
    Favorite Answer

The use both. Plus a process called "looping" (or ADR: Automatic Dialog Replacement) where the actors re-record their dialog in a studio to match their mouth movements.

Many sounds you hear on movies are edited, for example the sounds of guns, explosions, even sometimes screams and stuff. And yes the boom microphone they use is very sensitive to human voice but cancels the other noises!!