Physics & Math double major vs Physics major, econ/math minors?

Currently, I'm double majoring in Applied Physics and Math, but lately I've been considering getting a minor in economics as well.

Unfortunately, there's (probably) not enough room in my college schedule for me to pick up two majors and a minor, so it seems I have to choose: Do I double major in physics and math, or do I major in physics and minor in economics and math?

Currently, I want to go to grad school to get an engineering degree, but I also want to keep my options open -- I want to have a diverse and strong resume, and I feel that an econ minor would add that. I definitely want to keep physics, but I'm still unsure what I want to get alongside it.

Here's how many classes away from each major/minor right now:

- Math minor: 2 classes

- Math major: 4 classes & a senior thesis

- Econ minor: 8 classes

So which should I pick? I'm also a bit worried about my overall workload -- physics isn't an easy degree, so adding more classes could make it tough.

2 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    If it were me, I would definitely choose the double major over the two minors. But it really just depends on what your career aspirations are. If you want a job that is mainly research, than a econ minor doesn't seem to be a good fit. Anyways...

    Taking the math major requires less classes than two minors. Also, two majors is very impressive, especially for a resume. It shows that you can work extra hard to accomplish a goal. Two minors look good, but (to an employer) may make it look like you can't make up your decision on what to do. Also, from previous college grads I know: "A minor looks good, but it doesn't really get you much besides putting it on a resume."

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

    It doesn't much matter whether you choose Applied Physics or Pure Physics, but since you indicate an interest in Engineering for grad school, you should know that you may be required to take several bridging courses that will take at least a semester and maybe a full year. You may be asked to pass the EIT/FE exam. One way around this is to enroll in a Master's in Engineering Technology rather than Engineering. There are about a dozen MSET degrees in the USA. Wayne State's program is typical.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.