125cc bike for 16 year old?

Hello everyone I need some help I am 16 years old I do some off roading and have a ktm 125 which I ride around on.

So I know how to use the gears and clutch what I need help is choosing a bike I know you will say its up to me but there must someone who as been on one of the bikes and can tell me which one to pick and which is better thanks.

I have looked at cruiser bikes:

Yamaha dragster 125

Yamaha virago 125

Commuter bikes

Yamaha Ybr 125

Honda cbf 125

Touring bikes

Honda varadero

Honda xr 125

Can you please tell me if you think I should pick a cruiser or a touring or commuter bike thanks for answering I really don't know what bike to pick also I can't test drive them as I don't have a full license.

Update:

sorry forgot to mention im living in Ireland where you can legally ride a 125cc at 16.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well, there are certain expects about all of these bikes and the types.

The bike with the looks is the Dragstar, in my humnle opinion. Big, fat and cool. It has the looks of a 1200cc and handles like one. Also a very comfortable bike, but remember: The big frame and other parts weigh quite a lot, making it a very heavy bike which suck incase you get a standing-still tip.

The Virago is the lighter version of the Dragstar, also it uses less fuel. But it has a problem, as the rear cylinder often gets overheated and will sooner or later bow down. I do my current drivinglessons with the Virago, carrying a 210 pound guy on the back, myself weighing 158. I still feel its very comfortable to ride and also can take quite the beating.

The YBR...Yamaha's cheap yet extremely reliable bike. This is the bike with one of the lowest mpg's there is, also the bike itself is very cheap, both to buy and maintain. The only drawbacks is the "weak" engine and the pure simplicity of the bike.There is nothing exciting or creative about it.

You could say that the CBF is a YBR with more plastic, bigger frame and a bit more kick to it.

A very good bike, but it has the same "weak" engine as the YBR, yet it feels quite different due to the weight of the bike.

Aaaah, the Honda XL125V, otherwise known as the Varadero. Honda's currently best bike at the market, with a nice and strong v-twin 4-stroke engine. It has awesome sound, awesome mileage and the reliability is off the charts! Only drawback is the relatively high price. Other than that, there is nothing wrong with it. One of my buddy's ride a 2006 and ive tried it for a few miles. I was blown away by the comfort and steering, it just felt like a dream to ride.

Honda XR 125. Versatility is always good. This is the only enduro you have listed. Being a enduro, you can ride it quite comfy on the asphalt, but you will have a much better grip on dirt/dustroads. The price of this is less comfort while riding asphalt, but if you frequently have to go on bumpy road in the middle of nowhere, this bike would be quite sufficient. Also remember that a enduro will be a lot taller than the others, meaning that if you are a short person, you might have problems when standing still, going off or on the bike.

But the question was what bike I would recommend? If you've read all this, you probably understand that I would want you to buy the Varadero. This is the bike I recommend the most, it simply is a bike you can go wrong with. A perfect bike for a 16 year old who dont want to spend his time filling and smelling like 2-stroke oil, like the rest of us suckers with Aprilia RS 125.

So, answer in short: Honda XL125 Varadero

Source(s): I know a lot about 50cc and 125cc's (and by the way, Ireland isnt a part of UK)
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

In your case, only being a 16 year old, and living in Ireland, mopeds (single-cylinder motorcycles essentially) would probably be the best thing, especially if this is your first bike. For this I recommend a bike called the Honda Cub, a very very VERY popular bike (over 40 million have been sold throughout both Asian and European countries), has an engine around a 125cc capacity, very gas efficient, and will get you wherever you need to be. I honestly think certain yamahas are a bit out of your league, since your knowledge of motorcycles is pretty limited anyway.

Long story short: the Honda Cub moped

• 10 years ago

I did my lessons and test on the ybr and it was a great little bike. Comfortable riding postion, very smooth engine (injection), decent brakes, felt quite quick (at the time) and middle of the road looks. They do a custom styled one too if that floats your boat.

No experience with the other bikes so I can't compare them but I can say that the ybr gets a thumbs up from me

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

I would get a cbr125 if you can afford it the newer model with the fuel injection, As thats what i currently ride and it has a nice riding position which makes it sporty, but good for long journeys if needed, and where it is so light it is very nippy, plus petrol never seems to go down. The only down side i would say is that it is abit skinny looking, but you cant beat a honda

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

You're restricted to a 50cc until you're 17. Then you can get a 125. You need a CBT certificate for both.

The Yammy ybr is a good little bike.

• 10 years ago

my first bike was a yam 250 exiter but i was a heavy boy i would look at the ybr or xr stay away from virago altogether

Source(s): my own experience
  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Shame this isn’t on sale yet

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes...

Personally I would go for a DT125, but to some degree it depends on what you want to do on your bike (not that most of them are fairly equal in their scope).

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/Newrider/newride...

• Kaz
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I don`t think at 16 you can ride a 125cc on British Roads. You are restricted to a 50cc !

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensi...

• Ben
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

have you thought about getting your KTM street legal? and just get some super moto tires and wheels

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.