phishing Traveling false Email?

Fales E-mail entitled Sad News!!

I'm sorry I didn't inform you about our traveling. My family and i are presently in London,United Kingdom on short vacation and as i write to you now.. its

unbelievable we stuck here,got mugged at gun point on our way to the hotel, all cash, credit cards,phone and other valuable things were taken off at gun point.

Thanking Almighty God for save keeping my passport., i really need your urgent assistance quickly ? I JUST NEED SOME FEW HUNDREDS $$$ TO SORT OUT MY HOTEL BILLS AND i promise to refund it back to you as soon as we get home cause i still have some cash in my account but i cant access any here right now ,already canceled all my cards immediately after the muggers took every things off we have. Still at the public internet library where am making use of the free internet access, i will forever be grateful if you can help us, waiting to hear from you quickly cos my flight leaves in few hrs but need

to sort the hotel bills and please save me from been embarrassed.

Thanks.

Peace be with you,

XXXXXXX

XXXXXX@yahoo.com

XXX_XXX_-1XXXX Cell

YYY_YYY_0xxx Florida Home

How is this happening?

The better question, is how does someone get a list of email addresses from my machine to send these phishing request to? Is there some virus that is doing that?

Favorite Answer

I'm guessing that you mean that this was sent from your account to your address book.

Most of the time this is because a spammer has obtained your password by using phishing spam. Change your password. You should also scan for viruses and spyware.

Log into your Yahoo email and go to:

Options

Mail Options

Account information

You will be asked to give your password again. This is safe as long as you started from a proper Yahoo login, not a link from within a spam or other link.

From here you can change your password. However, you also want to look at the Contact Information.

You should find a Yahoo! Email that agrees with your account name. You may find a Home Email. This is an alternate contact address. There should not be one unless you entered one. If you find an unfamiliar one it could have been entered by the spammers. If they have inserted a home email under their control, they can report a "forgotten" password and collect the new password at that address.

All the understanding that you simply gave to the phishing electronic mail is now to be had for that any one to make use of. For the driving force's license quantity and social protection quantity will have to be introduced as much as the Secretary of State as quickly as viable. For long term reference, NEVER put up any private understanding like that until it's by way of a cozy software through a internet site equivalent to your financial institution website online, or pay friend on e bay. If ever you're not sure. you'll name the manufacturer to verify. BE CAREFUL!

You fell for a phishing scam or you have a virus or malware on your computer that has hijacked your account.

How is what happening? Anyone can write an email.