Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Catholic's? I have some legitimate question's.?

I am completely fascinated with Catholicism, but I have never attended a Catholic church & I won't pretend to have any knowledge. I hear some catholic's pray to Mother Mary? And, on many statues, she is standing above Christ & appears to be the main center? I cannot understand this? But, on the other hand, there are other Catholic's refer to themselves as Christian's and discuss only Jesus Christ as the Saviour. I love the Catholic churches...is it cathedral's? Sorry, not sure. But, it could appear to some people that they are worshiping idol's, statues, & all the gorgeous gold, etc?? And, last, even on EWTN catholic channel, they discuss the many priest's who have "touched" young boy's, etc? And, the Pope Benedict even brought it up to the end of the year of priest's. How many priest's have confessed to this behavior? Catholism is said to be "cultish"? But, I know it is the oldest & largest christian based religion ever, right? (Isn't what looks like worship of statues actually a reminder of the Lord?)

Thankyou for answering my questions...or discussing them.

Sorry my apostrophes bother you? I am a disabled grandmother who has lost much of my memory & vision due to medical problems in the last 10 years. I can no longer remember the spelling of many words, etc.. So, I do the best that I can.

Wow, I think I need to come back another day? I explained that I am very fascinated with Catholicism. It only recently happened. I am homebound, and I turned to the spiritual cable network & saw EWTN. I just loved Mother Angelica, who happened to be on there. And, I felt moved...as if this is something that may be for me. I immediately went to beliefnet online, and it led me to even more resources to research. I am totally obsessed with finding out as much as I can...including the history of the Catholic faith. I was raised a southern baptist. So, no offense meant to any of you even if you do call me names like..."troll"...lol! I do appreciate any honest answers..

I am so pleased to have checked back on my questions, and I found so many kind, helpful people! :)

I am very touched at the time a couple of you spent trying to explain these answers.

I am checking my phonebook to locate the nearest Catholic Church right now! I am excited to get up and watch EWTN daily, but I wish it was aired here 24 hrs a day. At midnight EWTN goes off the air here...

I am seeking....and thanks to you guys, I may be finding!

Thankyou so much!

• Shogun
    Favorite Answer

I must clarify on the heartfelt answer given by a non-believer. Hitler had a Catholic upbringing, but ceased religious activities when he left home. It is fact that he used the antisemitic writings of Martin Luther to justify the "final solution", and did so with the cooperation with a portion of the Lutheran Church of Germany, who apologized several years after the war. Here is an excerpt as to Hitler's stance on Catholicism.

"Certainly some of his early actions as German Chancellor speak more about his religious position than any direct profession of faith, such as his sterilization law, the disbandment of the Catholic Youth League(Shirer, The Rise), his agreement with the Vatican to allow the Catholic Church to regulate its own affairs (it is probably worth noting here the low value that Hitler placed on written agreements), pressuring parents to take their children out of religious schools, banning state teachers from taking part in Church-organized voluntary religious classes, banning crucifixes in classrooms, encouraging SS officers and men to leave the Church and the institution of neo-pagan rituals for marriage ceremonies and baptisms in the SS. Hitler remained conscious of the affection for the Church felt in some quarters of Germany, particularly Bavaria."

Aside from this he ordered the slaughter of 3 million Polish Catholics who stood between him and the Jews. This included clergy. So his being Catholic is complete propaganda.

You must remember that after the war the Soviet Union, who were having their own problems getting rid of Catholics, started a huge propaganda war against the Church, n particular their involvment in the Holocaust, etc. These communist lies were seized upon by anti-Catholic religions in America and incorporated into their teaching as fact.

As always Wolf Blayde has provided accurate information on your question. She is a convert who did her home work, and apparently still does, and I always enjoy reading her answers. If you must know, she knows more about Catholicism than most cradle to the grave Catholics. The Church is blessed to have her in our community.

May all Christians take the time to pray for Betsy, who is suffering physical illness. May all the Saints and the Virgin Mother also pray for you Betsy, and may your Guardian Angel always protect you from evil. God be with you.

Source(s): His servant

The Church canonized "Saints" who are considered amongst the living in heaven, and we do not consider saints or the elect to be amongst the dead (dammed). Catholics ask the "Saints" by intercession prayer to God, so were not praying to them we are asking them to speak with God. This would include the Blessed Virgin Mary interceding on our behalf to God. And Catholics do not worship the Saints or any statues. The art and statues are a monument to God and a memorial to the Saints. For example the Cathedral in the city I live in has several statues of Saints, like St. Paul, St. Peter, Blessed Virgin Mary, St. Joseph, St. John the Baptist and so forth. There is also murals of angels painted in many different places throughout the Cathedral such as the four Archangels St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael and St. Uriel. Now many Fundamentalist will call these images pagan gods, but how on earth can you call the Crucifix with Christ Jesus, or the Tabernacle that holds the Body of Christ as a graven image?

Actually Pope Benedict XVI had already addressed the issue about these sick Priests and EWTN is a reliable source of information regarding the Church. The thing is if a Priest confessed there sin to another Priest or Bishop there is no way to know how many actually confessed. Bishops and Priests are under a sacramental seal of confession which if the violate it they will be excommunicated from the Church.

Another fact to consider that the Orthodox Christians and even some Protestant Christians also vererate images of Saints, Crucifixes and etc.

Source(s): Catholic
  • Daver

<<Catholic's? I have some legitimate question's.? I am completely fascinated with Catholicism, but I have never attended a Catholic church & I won't pretend to have any knowledge. I hear some catholic's pray to Mother Mary?>>

Entreaty for Intercession to Mary, and other saints.

<<And, on many statues, she is standing above Christ & appears to be the main center? I cannot understand this?>>

I have never seen a statue that depicts Mary "above Jesus".

<<But, on the other hand, there are other Catholic's refer to themselves as Christian's and discuss only Jesus Christ as the Saviour.>>

ALL Catholics refer to themselves as Christians and worship Jesus as Lord and Savior.

<<I love the Catholic churches...is it cathedral's? Sorry, not sure>>

A Cathedral is the house of worship for a Bishop.

<<But, it could appear to some people that they are worshiping idol's, statues,>>

Those with a proper understanding of Catholicism KNOW it's not idolatry.

<<& all the gorgeous gold, etc??>>

Gold. . . okay, so what? What about the gold?

There isn't as much gold in Catholic houses of worship as you think.

Most things in a Catholic house of worship are NOT solid gold but gold-guilded. That is, $20 worth of gold film can cover several square feet of wood paneling.

<<And, last, even on EWTN catholic channel, they discuss the many priest's who have "touched" young boy's, etc? And, the Pope Benedict even brought it up to the end of the year of priest's.>>

The "popular" belief is that the Church is largely ignoring the problem. Clearly, even you have to admit now that the Church is clearly NOT ignoring the problem.

<<How many priest's have confessed to this behavior?>>

6% of the clergy is known to be involved in the clergy sex scandal.

<<Catholism is said to be "cultish"?>>

Only by enemies of the Church.

<<But, I know it is the oldest & largest christian based religion ever, right? (Isn't what looks like worship of statues actually a reminder of the Lord?) Thankyou for answering my questions...or discussing them.>>

What is this "worship of statues"? Where ever you're getting your info, most of it is bad and inherently anti-Catholic.

• I'm an atheist, not Catholic, just wanted to be clear about that up front. However, I do a lot of research into various religions and I have some Catholic relatives that I have discussed these very questions with.

Let me clear the air for you on a few things. Many of your fundamentalist brand of Christians will tell you that Catholics are idol worshippers and not Christians. This is hardly true.

Saints - Saints were living people who devoted their lives to God. So why do Catholics pray to them? They don't, really. They ask them to intercede with God on the prayer's behalf, much the way you might talk to a relative and ask them to do the same. Same goes with the Virgin Mary. They pray to the saints and Mary because the saints and Mary were beloved by God.

Cathedrals - Cathedrals are built to honor the glory and majesty of God. The statues and art that fill Cathedrals aren't considered idols by Catholics. Think of it as filling God's house with images of those that God loved most. (Jesus, Mary, disciples, saints, etc)

As far as history, Catholicism is what came of the original Christian church founded by the disciple Peter. After the Roman Empire adopted Christianity at the First Council of Nicaea in 325 AD, it became a world wide religion. All of the various factions that existed at that time were united into one church, and that church became the Roman Catholic Church, which was the official church of the western world for centuries to come.

Priests molesting children isn't the first thing in history that gave Catholicism a bad name. There are the Crusades, for one, where millions were killed. Adolf Hitler was a Catholic and used the religion for his own ends and means. And now, even though fundamentalists have pretty much taken the crazy side of Christianity over, priests are molesting kids. Do you fault the religion for this, or do you fault the individual? That's a choice that people have to make on their own. Personally, I fault the individual priests, not the Catholic institution as a whole. Catholicism has its fair share of corruption, just like any business or corporate entity. Large, powerful organizations create powerful people, and power corrupts people. Unfortunately, even in organizations that claim to be morally superior, such as the church.

To address the issue of Catholicism being "cultish," its certainly not anymore cultish than any other Christian denomination. People gather together at appointed times and places, chant or pray or sing in unison...this is pretty much every church I've ever been to or heard of, in any religion.

I hope this answer helped to answer your questions, and I'm sorry that so many people on R&S are complete *******.

If the devil himself were to come up and say or write something negative about the Roman Catholic Church, they [fundies] would all flock over to agree with him.

I am beginning to think they all know the Catholic Church is the True Church that Jesus Christ established. It doesn't seem to me that people knowingly protest so bitterly against mere humans as much as they protest bitterly against the Catholic Church. I think they know they are protesting against God when they attack the Catholic Church.

I'm fairly sure that most protestants know the Catholic Church is the centre of true Christianity. They resent that. They are upset that they have been away from The Catholic Church, and they feel embarrassed to come home. To avoid having to come home, they say that home - The Catholic Church, is a rotten place that nobody wants to go to anyway.

I would call a lot of the protests against The Catholic Church very childish, except that children are not so stubborn. Children get angry and defiant sometimes, but not over the same issue for years and years. Haters of the Catholic Church are committed to long-term anti-Catholic bigotry. It's a shame, but it is the reason they will use almost any flimsy "evidence" they can find to bash Catholics and the entire Catholic Church.

Thanks for being polite.

Regarding statues:

When someone in your family is not among the living you bury them with a grave marker (or urn) so you know who they are, maybe a picture so you remember them? Statues are used the same way.

They are not worshiped.

God doesnt say we cant have statues, in fact he commanded some be built.

Exodus 25:18

Thou shalt make also two cherubims of beaten gold, on the two sides of the oracle.

Numbers 21:9

Moses therefore made a brazen serpent, and set it up for a sign: which when they that were bitten looked upon, they were healed.

There are some, admittedly, that seem to have the wrong idea about the statues but the Catholic Church in no way encourages or teaches the worship of anything but God. There are not many but they seem to be the ones that are publicized.

As to the scandal, Satan isnt just sitting back waiting...

Acts 20:29

I know that, after my departure, ravening wolves will enter in among you, not sparing the flock.

We pray for all the victims.

You should look into coming into the fold, we welcome you.

Peace be with you

<<<Devout Catholic>>>

• Bruce

Catholics don't pray to Mary; we recognize that all of God's friends are alive with him forever, and we ask her to pray for us.

A cathedral is the church of a Catholic bishop; there is usually only one in a diocese, which is a large geographical area.

No one worships the statues (not idols) or the gold in Catholic churches. Catholics have always tried to honored God by building beautiful churches for worship, and we remember great events by depicting them in paintings and sculptures.

Less than 1% of Catholic priests committed homosexual abuses with teen boys 40-60 years ago, which is comparable to clergy in other denominations, less than teachers and coaches, and much less than family members. Today the US church has a model system of screening and training that has almost eliminated any danger of molestation.

Yes, the Catholic church is the oldest church, dating to 33 AD, and the largest Christian church, with over a billion members worldwide.

Cheers,

Bruce

The catholic church, or The Church of Jesus established since 33AD and to the present, headed by St Peter and his successors, the Pope of Rome. It is very straight forward and no one will miss it by studying the source thru the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

It is a very exciting and a very alive church and these includes the churches in Western Latin rites in Rome and the eastern catholic churches e.g. the Melkites, Greek catholics, the Coptic catholics and also the Maronites. The eastern churches are awesome of the ancient holy icons - means of learning at that ancient times.

http://www.goreme.org/churches/index.htm

And many other apostolic testimonies that we could not witness anymore, as these are relics for the last 2000 years.

Check out EWTN.com

Catholic Answers

Catholic Apologetics

Ewtn has Youtube entries

and you can get Ewtn on your computer

We do not adore Mary but ask her and all other members of the Mystical Body of Christ to be prayer partners with us

Statues of angels and other heavenly folk are commanded by theBook of Exodus chapter 25

I'm not Catholic but I can help you with your questions. When you look at Catholicism from the perspective of a Protestant, what you are seeing is in fact Christianity.

By way of example, someone asked earlier about a priest having the authority to forgive sins. I answered straight from the bible where Jesus said:

Jhn 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; [and] whose soever [sins] ye retain, they are retained.

Note that that is straight from the King James bible. But I received more thumbs down on that answer than perhaps any other.

Found within the Catholic Church, as in all Christian Churches, including my own Orthodox Church, is the authority of a priest to forgive sins, as Jesus himself granted that authority.

Perhaps you should look further into Christianity, including the Catholic variety.