Does anyone know of any good childrens books dealing with losing someone?
I recently lost my mom and I want to get a book for my daughter dealing with the situation so she can know her grandma will always be with her
- Kiersten KLv 41 decade agoFavorite Answer
I am very sorry for your loss. I too know how it feels to lose someone close to you at a young age because my mother passed away when I was nine. :(
Here are the books I know of that deal with loss and grief:
- The Fall of Freddy Leaf by Leo Buscaglia
- Sarah's Grandma Goes to Heaven: A Book About Grief by Cheri Bladholm
- Animal Crackers: A Tender Book About Death and Funerals and Love by Ron Boldt
- Byron the Bear and his Balloon: The Story of Life and Loss by Naif J. Faris
- Thank You, Grandpa by Jason Cockroft
- Grandma I'll Miss You: A Child's Story About Death and New Life by Renee Graef
- My Grandma Died: A Child's Story About Death and Loss by Carol Deach
- Grandma's Gone to Live in the Stars by Albert Whitman
- Help Me Say Goodbye: Activities for Helping Kids Cope When a Special Person Dies by Janis Silverman
- Grandma's Scrapbook by Josephine Nobisso
- Grandma's Purple Flowers by Adjoa J. Burrowes
- Nana Upstairs And Nana Downstairs by Tomie dePaola
- Peekaboo, Pearly Moon by Karen DeVries
- Are You Sad, Little Bear?: A Book About Learning to Say Goodbye by Rachel Rivett
- What Happened When Grandma Died? by Peggy Barker
- Chicken Soup for the Grieving Soul: Stories About Life, Death and Overcoming the Loss of a Loved One (Chicken Soup for the Soul) by Jack Canfield
- Chick Soup for the Kid's Soul by Jack Canfield
**** Yahoo Answers will only let me include 10 links. But you can find any of these titles by searching for them in the Children's book section of Amazon.com. (Except for Chicken Soup for the Grieving Soul- I think that's in the adult section.)
I hope this list is helpful. I haven't read all of the books on this list, so I can't say that all of them would be appropriate for your family. You can read the reviews for each book to see which ones would be the best for you. I will keep your family in my prayers.Source(s): Personal experience Amazon.com
- EC ExpertLv 61 decade ago
The classic, and the first to address the issue, is "The Tenth Good Thing About Barney." It's about a cat, but it deals with the concept of loss in a beautiful way. Most public libraries have sections of books parents can read to their children about sensitive topics.
- 1 decade ago
This is a special idea, prepare a book which is interesting with the stories told by your mom to you with some selected photographs which suits the story. Share some special occasion incidences but express it as a story.
- llselva4Lv 61 decade ago
I'll Love You Forever
A book by Maria Schriever about her grandmother, can't remember title.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- BobbiLv 71 decade ago
Librarians are a great resource, and can point you to many age-appropriate books for your daughter. sorry for your loss :(