is there a difference in a correspondence course and distant learning?

I live in dubai and there arent many good universities here so ive been considering a correspondence course. Ive been reading about it but i still am a bit confused so i would really appreciate it if you could help me out a bit.

whats the difference between the two in terms of

- study material (is it the same as the students studyin on campus?)

- fees/cost

- will there be online classes or can i just study on my own with the material thats been given?

- if i have assignments and projects how do i submit them?

- when and how will i give my exams?

- when i get my degree will it mention that ive done my course off campus?

- how long does it usually take to complete a BComm degree?

also, please give me some sites for it. preferably to gain an australian degree cause ill be moving there and be doing my masters there as well.

We have the university of pheonix, here in dubai, but a lot of people have recommended against it. really need your help

Thanks in advance!

Favorite Answer

I don't have any expertise in Australian universities, but I can tell you a bit about the difference in distance education methods.

Distance learning is taking classes when you aren't physically located at the university where they are being taught. This can be done in a number of different ways. Correspondence courses are conducted through the mail. The school sends you a study guide and books. You do the work, send in the homework, take some tests with a local proctor and mail things back to the college for grading.

There are other ways to conduct distance education as well. Some universities rent a small building or room in a remote city and allow students to take classes over a video conference link. Others do something similar over teleconference. Some schools will send you video tapes of the classes and you watch those.

The most popular way to do distance education now is over the Internet. Sometimes, this amounts to little more than a correspondence course using email instead of regular physical mail, but often it involves recorded or live videos of the classes. In some cases there are interactive components or online discussion groups.

The online classes I've taken have usually required a proctor for tests. I had to find someone at a local college or library and the test was sent to them the day before I needed to take it. After taking the test, the proctor sent it back to the university. I found that many of my classes didn't rely so much on tests as on projects that were usually submitted over email. In some cases I had open book tests that didn't require a proctor, but were very time consuming and difficult enough that you had to really understand the subject just to know where to look for the answer.

Here are some US schools that offer distance education programs over the Internet:

http://www.cvn.columbia.edu/

http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/

http://www.extension.harvard.edu/

Also here is a detailed review of the experience of getting a degree from Harvard's Extension school that might give you a better idea of the distance education experience.

http://www.productivity501.com/harvard-masters-deg...

I have done a few distance learning courses, 2 throught the open university. I combined it with a full-time job but i had no kids and it wasn't too bad to begin with but it is hard work and setting enough time aside to do the work can seem a bit of a bind sometimes but it is well worth it when you get the qualification you want. The obvious one is the Open University, there is a dedicated lecturer in your area which are there to help in anyway that they can and they try and get everyone together in person at some point so you can meet everyone. Most colleges and universities try and run Distant learning courses that can be fully on-line again they have dedicated lecturers to help. The fees vary alot with who you go with so check around. One thing that helped was with the open university they have an on-line student area that everyone logs onto and asks questions and discuss everything which is a great help and if you find someone in your area that can also be a great support. One of the worst things about distant learning is feeling like you are on your own and your not. Good luck and i hope you find the course that you wnat