Why do doctors induce for large babies?

The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists do not recommend induction of labor for a big baby (macrosomia).

"elective induction of labor before or near term has been suggested to prevent macrosomia and its complications. However, observational studies suggest that induction actually increases the cesarean section rate without favorably altering perinatal outcomes."

"induction did not decrease the rate of cesarean section, instrumental delivery or perinatal morbidity."

"elective induction of labor appears to increase rather than decrease the cesarean section rate."

Since no one in the medical community can show a benefit to inducing for suspected macrosomia (true macrosomia cannot be diagnosed before birth) why are they still doing it?

Favorite Answer

So that the doctor's can cover their own asses and make more money.

• Jenn

Any reputable doctor will not induce because of large baby unless there is a physical comlication noticable. My son was born 1 week early and weighed 9 lbs 8 1/2 oz, i was not induced. In fact, my midwife told me it does not matter how big the baby is what matters most is baby's position. She said she has seen 6 lb babies get stuck and 10 lb babies just slide right out. I am tiny myself, and no one would have ever guess my son was that big!

Hence, usually has to be something else going on to induce.

Source(s): Mommy to 17 month old, 14 weeks pregnant