? asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 10 years ago

How did Christopher McCandless (Into the Wild) kill an Alaskan Moose with Remington .22 Auto and hollowpoints?

That makes no sense to me. I thought you needed a big gun to kill a moose?

Favorite Answer

Consider this - the #2 Polar Bear in Canada was take by a native woman with a 22 rifle. That does not mean she went out and hunted it and than took it down with it - it was coming into her cabin and when it stuck it's head in the window she fired in it's ear.

Moose are not difficult to get close to. Heck, I have them come up to my house windows and peek in. We have to scare them away from the shrubery in the front yard!

Did the book say what size? Moose come in baby, 1yr, 2yr, female, small bull, med bull, and big bull. Just because someone 'killed a moose' does not mean it is a 70" rack Boone and Crocket. If all I had was a 22 - I would pick off a small cow or a calf.

That - and how long it take the thing to die? You can shoot a moose on Sunday - it dies on Monday - and you could still claim you killed moose.

All animals have volunerable spots. People, moose, deer etc all have accending and decending aorta in the front side of the neck. Even a small tiny nick of this high pressure blood vessel will be fatal - it can't heal on it's own - and will only widen and the bleeding will get worse and worse. Following a dying moose is not all that hard eiether - they go where they want and break any small branches and trees in the way.

The problem is - a wounded moose always heads to a place where it will be difficult for a man to follow. Lake, pond, river, marsh etc etc. I have had the displeasure of harvesting a moose from knee deep mud and grass - it is a God awful task - but the thing dropped just feet from dry land so it wasn't like we had to pack it out 2 miles like some unfortunate hunters. This is why you need a huge rifle - because you need to anchor it. Or it will wander into a place that will make your next 24 hours a hunting nighmare you won't forget.

Consider this. The Alaskan and Canadian natives did not have rifles and pistols for centuries. They killed them with bare hands. I am sure if you went back in time and handed a native hunter a 22 rifle he would consider it an awesome upgrade!

Hey, fellow Canuck! NOT in the city, but... I was doing archaeology in the Chilcotin, in a large camp full of scientists and gear, and had a grizzly come for a visit one night. I was sleeping in a $20 Canadian Tire pup tent and he walked around it about five times, then started sniffing my head through the front flap. I was literally too scared to scream, even though there were other tents nearby. I couldn't make any sound come out of my mouth. He mangled a bag of clothes I had outside and I finally sat up and screamed my head off for help. One of the other arch's chased him away with a chainsaw. I still have the duffel bag as a souvenir. It's full of tooth marks.

With a well placed shot, and some luck, it is definitely possible.

My uncle, when he was around ten years old, killed a Mule Deer with a .22LR. It was quite a ways off... He did aim for it, but didn't think he was capable of hitting it. Shot to the spine dropped it instantly... his older brother witnessed it. It was irresponsible... But that's what kids do.

It is possible to kill things with a less than ideal cartridge.

• bond

A .22 will kill anything with a good brain placement shot. My grandfather told me that they were poor when he was a kid. They took deer, bear, and even elk with a .22.

I knew some guys who killed a black bear using a 22 they said it took 18 shots

my daddy used to hunt elk with a 22lr

and that was for daily meat not a once a year thing

Because he pumped many shots into it.

Each shot is going to do some damage.

he should have used an axe