promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why Are Lady Macbeth's Costumes Important In This Play?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Ooh, good question. :)

I recently saw a performance of Macbeth at a local performing arts university. In it, Lady Macbeth had a different costume in each scene she was in. We asked the director at the question-answer session following the performance about his intentions with Lady MacB's costume. He told us that her costumes were symbols of her humanity.

In her first, completely red/burgundy dress, she was ambitious to a fault, ready to do anything to propel her husband up the social ladder. Whether she does this out of genuine love for her husband or out of personal interest, I myself am not entirely certain.

Then, as the play progressed, the color drained from her, literally. About halfway in the performance, her costume consisted of a white blouse and a skirt that started white at the waist and faded back to that red color at the bottom, supposedly showing how her guilt made her queston herself and her husband's murderous actions, and she was losing her ambitious drive. By the end of the play, sleepwalking and having nightmares, Lady MacB had donned a full-length white gown--she had lost all her drive, all her bloodlust, all her red.

Guilt whitewashed Lady MacBeth.

By showing the loss of her ambitions, the director claimed, it also showed that she had fallen to the basest of human conditions--pure emotion, lacking logic and personal interests.

And, more importantly, it also foreshadows the fall of Macbeth himself.

Source(s): The senior project at Montevallo University
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • larman
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Lady Macbeth Costume

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Why Are Lady Macbeth's Costumes Important In This Play?

Source(s): lady macbeth 39 costumes important play: https://shortly.im/6XCOF
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

The answer before mine is a really good one – all I would add is that in real terms she drives the play forward and creates the drama. Without her initial encouragement not a great deal would happen and her about turn and subsequent guilt create the backdrop to Macbeth’s growing sense of power. Am not normally a feminist but there is a case to suggest Lady Macbeth is the real main character of the play - although this would not have hit the political tone Shakespeare was creating by writing this in the first place.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/4j4mF

As it shows the contrast between her and MacBeth. At the beginning of the play (Before Duncan's murder) she is trying to convince Macbeth to commit the deed, and constantly attacking his manhood in order to manipulate him into regicide. Therefore she reveals Macbeth's deep and dark desire, and his lust for power. It's important to understand she did not make him murder Duncan but she uncovered his own ambition However by the end of the play she is overwhelmed with guilt, shown by her sleep walking then her suicide. Thus showing immense character development from her previous self. Both these sides of Lady Macbeth her contrasting characteristics to Macbeth as he was reluctant and doubting himself before the murder until the end of the play where he is a vicious tyrant.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.