R-man
R-man asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

Is it OK to write a novel where the chapters have only 3 to 5 pages?

I'm writing a novel that has an estimated 12 or 13 chapters. And some people have told me that for that amount of chapters 3 to 5 pages for each chapter is not enough.

Personally I can't write so much about the same theme in a chapter for so many pages, I mean I am imaginative but not monotonous.

What should I do?

Best Answer

You can have chapters that are as short as you like. BUT you will then need enough of them to make a full-length novel.

You're talking about having 13 chapters. If you've got 13 chapters and each one is only 5 pages long, that's not a novel - it's a 65 page story. It's not even long enough to be a novella. Go into a book shop and tell me how many novels - even in the children's section - are as short as 65 pages. I doubt you'll find a single one. They will almost without exception be *at least* twice as long as that, and most of them will be more like three or four times that length.

If you've planned 13 chapters to tell your complete story, and you can only make each one 5 pages long at the most, then you aren't ready to write a novel. Really, if you've got enough of a story to tell, it shouldn't be 'monotonous' to make it more than 65 pages long in total. I'm sure your idea is great, but maybe it just isn't meant to be a novel.

Most successful authors start their writing career with short stories. If short, snappy writing is your style, why not try a few short stories first? Lots of magazines publish them, and it's a really good way to get into writing before you start on a novel.

Source(s): Published author.

Well, novels start from about 60,000 words. 12 chapters of 3 pages each is 36 pages. You'd need to have a little under 2,000 words on each page. In practice? You'll have about 250.

This is a short story, not a novel. If you can't think up enough plot for a novel then simply don't write one. It's hardly rocket science. Write your story the length it is. Maybe the next one you come up with will be longer.

I have read many books that only have 4 pages in each chapter. So if you can't write so much on one theme just make a lot more chapters and themes. It doesn't really matter how many pages there are. Just that it is a great novel.

Source(s): Reading books.

Yes that's fine. It's your novel so make what you want of it.

Though, just a tip:

Short chapters can get a little tiresome. When you get to the main point in the novel, the chapters may need to be longer to really explain everything to the reader.

I've had this happen to me many times. I start out with short chapters and then I let them grow a bit bigger.

You don't have to though, it doesn't really matter how many chapters you have and how many pages you have in them. As long as you tell the story and get the point across of each chapter then the whole story...you're good.

Good luck and I hope I helped!! :-D

• Musso

If you have explained everything in one chapter as clearly as possible then it don't matter how long your chapter are - it's quality not quantity. But then you won't be writing a novel, you'll be writing a novella which is a short book.

yes all authors have different styles of writing. for example in the maximum ride books the chapters are usually 1-2 pages but in another book a chapter could have 15 pages. its however you want to write it. dont let other people discourage you. they probably dont know what they're talking about.

• Evelyn

a misunderstanding--something seen from a distance or part of a conversation overheard. Or one of them acts overbearing or vicious, making the other back off. Romance novels are full of these things--pick up a couple of Nora Roberts, like the MacGregor Grooms (section on Ian at the end, when he puts his foot into it is good). If you want to be more sophisticated, make it relate to a disagreement over principles. Or you could go Romeo & Juliet, and have them unable to come together because of their affliations (families, gangs, schools, etc.) Hope that helps!

• Niblib

you'll have to either increase pages per chapter or chapters per book. otherwise you're writing an novella not a novel.

It is absolutly fine to only write that much in a chapter. You don't even have to write a paragraph (although I would suggest writting more than 1 paragraph per chapter). Good luck on your book ^^.

I have seen it done, depends on the book subject and HOW it is edited.

My suggestion (and I am a writer) Is JUST write the story-show us what happens,

You can always go back and add what some writers call "Underpainting" which are details that bring the story to life.