Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 10 years ago

Do rifle rounds such as 5.56mm NATO Ball cause more deadly wound to human targets than .45 ACP JHP round?

Do rifle rounds such as 5.56mm NATO Ball cause more deadly wound to human targets than pistol rounds such as .45 ACP JHP round? Please compare the two rounds I mentioned and teach me about what you know.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

Too many variables as others have already stated to give you a good answer to your question.

In CQC (close quarters combat) the .45 JHP would be the better round to inflict the most damage versus a 5.56 NATO round.

Usually when you are hit by a high velocity round, you will encounter a "through and through" wound, meaning that if hit in your upper chest, there will be an entrance wound and in almost a direct line from the entrance wound, an exit wound*.

*Ideal conditions- straight shot, no deflection from striking bone, etc.

The NATO 5.56 round used by US military in the M16's & M4's are designed to tumble once they strike soft tissue. This tumbling will cause the round to not always follow a straight line & will cause significant internal damage to soft tissue & any organs that it encounters.

Source(s): 15 yrs US Army Military Police
  • Marine

Disagree with Julzy answerer. There are other factors involved.

1. Range between weapon and target. At 25 yards, the .45 cal will make a very big hole in the human target with enough kinetic energy to knock him/her down and literally stomp them. The amount of damage is tremendous; whereas, the 5.56 will literally pass through the target with little damage. The .45 cal is a much larger round than the 5.56. The kinetic energy behind the 5.56 will essentially punch a hole through the body enabling the target to continue the fight if able (depends where the round hits - eg. head, heart, or other vital organ will result in death at about the same rate regardless of what round is fired).

2. Ranges beyond 25 yards, the 5.56 is the round of choice since the .45 is not very effective beyond 50 yards due to the rate of drop and the weight of the .45 round. The rifle, 5.56 round is intended for long range targets, not less than 50 yards. The .45 pistol is a "last" defense type weapon whereas the 5.56 rifle round is designed to kill the enemy before they get near. Even at long range, the amount of tissue damage from a 5.56 is not nearly as bad as the .45 at close range (less than 50 meters/yards).

Lieutenant Colonel, US Marine Corps-Retired (27 years experienced with the M-1 30.06, M-14 7.62mm, M-16 5.56mm, .45 cal, and 38 cal weapons used by the US Marine Corps)

People keep bringing up stuff from the '80s. Once it happens, it is not forgotten ,and to some it is as true today as it was then. The only hollow point round in .45 ACP that I heard about problems with was the Winchester Silvertip. It wasn't a penetration problem, it was an expansion problem. The cavity would plug up with whatever material the bullet went through and did not expand. I pulled one from a cottonwood log and reloaded it. The problem has long since been corrected.

• Your

Two entirely different rounds for two different weapons for two different purposes. What is the firearm being used for? Zombie apocalypse? Afghanistan battlefield? Home defense?

The diameter of a .45 bullet is 11.5mm. The diameter of the 5.56 bullet is 5.70mm.

The .45, is a pretty slow moving round, about 1000ft/s. The 5.56 moves at about 3,000ft/s depending on the grains. It depends on the type and the yaw of the bullet.

When it comes to straight up knockdown power... .45 wins.

However... shot placement is the most important thing when talking about the "deadly wounds."

It is not just mass times velocity. you also have to consider how much of that energy gets transferred to the target. A lot of that is dependent on cross sectional area. The 45 is a well proven round and few who have used in combat have had complaints about it. but the 223 has had a lot of complaints about it's lack of stopping power. I would listen to the troops.

I'm 48, not in the business of insulting you. I do not care to nor have the time to condense what I have learned from age 12. The variables just like the situations and the cartridges are endless. What I know is this: Tell me what you want to do with a gun and I will get you as close to perfection in achieving that goal as I can. Just to back up my big mouth a .44 Magnum 220grain soft point has greater muzzle velocity and energy than a .30-30 180 grain bullet at 100 yards. No one can teach you what you want. I used to be so into guns I memorized an entire ballistics chart by accident. Time for me to stop slapping myself on the back and for you to learn about what you like. Look at these rounds: .17 Hornet, 222 Swift, 6mm Mag, 7mm mag, 338 win mag. Last word, b4 you pick a .45, take a real close look at the .357 mag. It makes .45 caliber fans stand up and shut up.

yes 5.56 is a rifle round the .45 acp is a pistol round the rifle has more charge so it hits with more energy usually it would have a heavier bullet.

5.56 mm = width of projectile

.45 Inch. = width of case at end there is no comparison really.

Why?