Isn't Christianity really a theory based on these elements?
1) Morality. Religion has wrapped its arms around morality. Morality is not a part a religion, but Christianity has wrapped its arms around morality and claimed it as part of it. Morality is seperate from religion as Socrates taught 2,500 ago.
2) Immortality. It solves the anxiety that we are all animals and we are all going to die and that's it. It makes us feel imortal and we love it.
3) Jesus. People fall in love with Jesus. He is ethics personified. If you summnarized the teachings of Jesus and put them into a little book, you would have a good ethical treatise.
4) God. Feeling we are not alone, and we have somebody looking after us. Standing in opposition to the World is scary. We are truely independent minds and that scares some people.
Your thoughts? Did I miss any elements?
- CJLv 710 years ago
1) Morality. False. Actually, morality is anti-Christian. The Bible demands that we should kill people who work on Sundays (or is it saturdays?), children who are disobedient, and adulterers. Yet we do no such thing because we are MORAL and ethical beings and we recognize bs for what it is. We disobey the Bible on the grounds of morality. Also, the Bible supports the institution of slavery, yet we make the moral choice to abolish slavery and treat it as a moral wrong.
2) Immortality. Who told you that humans are immortal? Making up a sweet little lie to make humans feel better about death and such is probably as immoral as lying to children about Santa and the easter bunny. Are you suggesting that making up comfortable lies is the way to create a popular religion?
3) The "teachings of Jesus" have resulted in the butchering of countless millions of human beings all over the world. You've never heard of the crusades? Pogroms? The Holocaust? The Inquisition? Ethics personified? Have ye not read Matthew 10:34? Or Luke 22: 36?
4) God. Feeling we are not alone, and we have somebody looking after us.
Again, a comfortable lie -- there is not one shred of evidence that supernatural beings exist.
- Anonymous10 years ago
You hit the nail on the head. To me, religion is just a way to calm our innate fears of death. Why else would the very basis of most religions answer the questions about what happens to you after you die. Religions are just a way of dealing with life's complexities, that we don't yet understand.
Modern science is beginning to answer some of those questions. However, we still have a TON of things to discover.
To me, it seems like the fact that we don't understand our own existence, is somewhat proof that we're all just products of coincidence.
Some may say that it's impossible for such a great coincidence to occur. But is the coincidence really that great? Relative to our lives, it is. But when you compare it to the vastness of the universe, and all the planets there are, it's silly to think that other planets can't support some forms of life. Who knows? The universe may be filled with a massive variety of life forms, that we have yet to discover.
- 10 years ago
True Christianity is a way of life. It means striving to follow in the footsteps of Christ with the glory of the Almighty God in view.
But, I'm just a man. So, I'll let the bible respond to you...
1) Morality: is determined by God...not man. (Jeremiah 10:23: "I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his steps."
2) Immortality: Man is not immortal. We die. We don't have immortal souls. (Genesis 3:19: "...for dust you are and to dust you will return")
3) Jesus: Is the only begotten son of God (John 3:16). He took on the form of man, and sacrificed his perfect life so we (imperfect humans) could have hope.
4) God: Is our Creator. The creater of the spiritual heavens and the physical universe. (first scripture in the Bible...Genesis 1:1 "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth"
Matthew 11:25: "at that time Jesus said in response: I publically praise you, Father, Lord of the heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intellectual ones and revealed them to babes"Source(s): Teachings of Jehovah's Witnesses
- tree topLv 710 years ago
Jesus is the conner stone for our christian faith. and there is eight truth we sand on in our faith.1. the deity we need to know Jesus is God 2. the authority of the word of God, and we need to know it is the authority. 3. new covenant, not a old covenant, our sins have been taken away once and for all, we are forgiven people. 4. we need to understand the reality of the resurection his life living in us.5. law and grace, 6. how should we live in obeindents to the law has been fulfilled by Jesus 7. or by grace 8. faith hope & love
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- Anonymous10 years ago
2) This concept (immortality) does exist and is a primary teaching of Christianity, so "yes".
3) Certainly - Jesus and his teachings (for instance, about immortality) are *the* central part of Christianity - hence, the name.
4) God - yes. That other stuff: no.
Conclusion: some parts of your "elements" are include in Christianity; many are not. The claim that Christianity is a "theory" is a subjective determination. Elements you missed:
* The Bible
* supernatural occurrences (miracles)
etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
This might give you a more complete idea of the elements involved:
- 10 years ago
Christianity was a Jewish sect, started by Jews. Immortality is not unique to Christianity, or to Judaism, or to all religions.
Jesus is "ethics personified"? Have you even thought about that? I know you atheists are horny over the idea of Jesus not existing, but he was a real person. Why do you think there were so many competing gospels and epistles on who Jesus was, which nevertheless chronicled the conflict between him and Jewish power, and the crucifixion/resurrection?
And your psycho-babble is obnoxious. You asked this question because deep down you want to screw your mother.
Prove me wrong.
- olorteguiLv 43 years ago
One can not have self assurance the two the bible and scientific discoveries without being knowingly cheating to themselves. You the two have self assurance god made 2 people out of airborne dirt and dirt or you have self assurance people are the descendants of before animals. you in basic terms can not have it the two strategies except you cherry %.. that may no longer knowledgeable.
- son of GodLv 710 years ago
Yes All of them!!!
The Gospel of the grace of God tells us how God makes us right in his sight. This is accomplished from start to finish by faith. As the Scriptures say, “It is through faith that a righteous person has life.”
But God shows his anger from heaven against all sinful, wicked people who suppress the truth by their wickedness. They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them. For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God.
Yes, they know God, but they won’t worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they begin to think up foolish ideas of what God is like. As a result, their minds have become dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they instead have become utter fools. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worship idols made to look like mere people and birds and animals and reptiles.
So God has abandoned them to do whatever shameful things their hearts desire. As a result, they do vile and degrading things with each other’s bodies. They trade the truth about God for a lie. So they worship and serve the things God created instead of the Creator himself, who is worthy of eternal praise! That is why God abandons them to their shameful desires. Even the women turn against the natural way to have sex and instead indulge in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relations with women, burn with lust for each other. Men do shameful things with other men, and as a result of this sin, they suffer within themselves the penalty they deserved.
Since they think it foolish to acknowledge God, he abandons them to their foolish thinking and lets them do things that should never be done. Their lives become full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, quarreling, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They invent new ways of sinning, and they disobey their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, are heartless, and have no mercy. They know God’s justice requires that those who do these things deserve to die, yet they do them anyway. Worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.
- curious moperLv 610 years ago
Besides the dogma, you're nearly there. Most religions are basically just societal philosophies anyways...
- Anonymous10 years ago
Religions are far from theories. Theories can be proven. Religion can not.Source(s): I'm a Christian, by the way, for everybody who doesn't know.