Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

What are acceptable deeds expected of a Christian & what need is there of deeds if once saved always.....?

James 2:14-17 niv

14 What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? 15 Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. 16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? 17 In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.

Favorite Answer

Jesus clarifies the deeds... And the Apostles elaborate on it, that though we may hope (or Jews also) to do God's law, but if we don't have love, we're falling short of what God planned for us. God meant for us to do well, and the salvation from sin doesn't come from works, nor does it come without works. Works of religious importance but devoid of faith aren't what pleases God. God is spirit(ual), and therefore must be worshiped in spirit(ualness) and truth(fulness)! In addition to what God has said that has hung on Love God with all your heart, strength, soul, and mind, and Love your neighbor as yourself, those things which are acceptible to God should be known through the Spirit in love from the Father.

For instance, say you come to salvation through the Christ. How is it possible for that same person to go and cheat on his wife? He's leaning to his own understanding and giving into temptation and not walking according to the Spirit of Truth. In fact, he's still under the Law of Sin and Death, and not under the Law of Christ, walking by grace; grace because we did not deserve God to give His Son up for us to be the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and so we love Him in return. Since we love Him in return, as Jesus says, "do my Father's commands". Jesus said to watch and pray that you don't enter into temptation. The flesh from where the temptation is aroused, that is the natural state of a human being. It's not that all things natural are sin (hunger, sleepiness, etc.), but that naturally, a man is inclined to be self-seeking. Now that the truth is known by the Spirit by one who believes, the temptation is there to do not of what the Spirit wants, but of what the person's own body wants, and at the sake of others!

So then, what are good works? Charity, loving kindness, faithfulness, honesty, purity, cleanliness (inside), goodness ( to others), righteousness - all the things enabled by the love of God!

Now if a person sins and are knowledgeable of God, they should naturally (by the Spirit) be sorry, right? And therefore, they should repent. But a person coming to know God should strive to know God, and should resist temptation and be willing to listen to the Holy voice implanted in them by the faith!

In this way, James is saying that, if you actually love your brother, you would try to help him. Paul said that the kingdom of God is not a matter of words, but a matter of power. Jesus said that not all who say to Him, "Lord, Lord!" will enter the kingdom, only those who do His Father's commands.

Martin Luther was in grievous error for thinking that the Epistle of James was an "epistle of straw", and as Jesus said, "by their fruit you'll know them". So a person's character you can tell by what they actually do, whether being watched or not! In that understanding, you can see certain preachers who put on a good show, but then they are sleeping with prostitutes or taking money for themselves... What's the difference between that and Judas? And Judas didn't even claim the authority, but it was actually given to him with the Twelve! So these preachers are even worse masqueraders! On the other hand, you have the kind and faithful and self-sacrificial lovers who spread the kingdom in meekness, with the gifts that God has given them in His love, not looking for a name for themselves, but really looking for God's good pleasure and the peace of men with God.

When Jesus was asked what to do to enter the kingdom, He said, "you know the commands, don't kill, don't steal, don't commit adultery"...

When the man said that he did all these things, Jesus said go sell everything and come and follow me. Unfortunately, we do not have the man Jesus here with us now, but He is sitting at the right hand of God our Father, however we do have the Spirit Who is here to counsel us.

Remember also to read your Bible and ask God for help to find out what He wants.

The notion of "Once saved always saved" is misunderstood by a lot of people. It would be better worded like this: "Once you are saved in GOD'S EYES (and not just your own or other people's), then you are always saved.

Many who are convinced that they are Christ's followers are mistaken: "On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’" -- Matthew 7:22 - 23

You don't have to be good to *become* a Christian, but if you don't start to become a better person after converting, something is definitely wrong.

As for what are acceptable deeds, start by loving God first and then others as yourself. This need not be a wishy-washy affection, but rather a generous spirit and goodwill and a willingness to forgive and give the benefit of doubt regarding others' intentions and such. Also, take note: "Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world." -- James 1:27 (now obviously not everyone lives around where there are any orphans and widows to literally go and pay a visit to, but there's still an important underlying message there about helping others in need and making the effort to live a morally decent life).

I think you're missing the entire point of OSAS doctrine and what's behind it, i.e. love and grace. By thinking of mankind as neutral before the Lord, you're coming up with an entirely different concept of salvation by force. OSAS means guilt, and the need for a savior, not choosing God off a menu or being force-fed if you choose the wrong item! "If not, then how can you state that a person cannot lose their salvation?" This is possible only if you take away COMPLETELY man's ability to look to God for salvation. Someone would have to hold you all through your life that way, and a loving Father would do that. Through the toughest times, Christians have hope. Rely on yourself, as Peter did when called to walk on the water, and you sink like a rock. "If a person later rejects Christ as their Lord and savior, will God force them to go to heaven?" We have a sin nature within us. That nature would reject God in a heartbeat save for a tremendous love that won't let us go. The love of Christ is a wonderful blessing and gift, not a commodity you get to ponder over like a classified ad.

The deeds that are needed are, first of all, not to get us to heaven, but to make life better while we're still here on earth.

Second, the deeds that are needed are so important, that Jesus said that if you do them to even the very LEAST person, it's as though you did it to Him, or if you withheld from the least person, it's as though you withheld from Him.

Finally: the deeds required of a Christian are to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless, bring comfort to those who mourn, visit those that are in hospitals and prisons, forgive those who harm you, and treat others the way you want to be treated.

Good point and some good answers from some.

You do have to remember a couple things though....like Proverbs 3:27 says "Do not hold back the doing of good to others when it is in the power of your hand to do it."

Another verse says something about the readiness (desire to help) being there, but not the means (financing/money or knowledge....an example was given of a person who sees someone drowning and no one is around, but they cannot swim. It would not be sound mind to jump in and get yourself drowned too...you do what is necessary and possible).

Debbie

• ?

Key word "CLAIMS" to have faith.

Faith will always outwork itself through good deeds, and a Godly disposition.

If it does not, then there is a huge ? over the person CLAIMING to have faith.

"By their fruits you shall know them"

So we can conclude (and it is scriptural) that there will be some on the great day who will have even deluded themselves, but they were just "religiously" following some rules. Very sad indeed.

• MOMMAH

When GOD blesses you HE BLESSED YOU TO BE A BLESSING TO SOMEONE ELSE...not be GREEDY and not HELP OUT your fellow man.... That's HOW we can SEE GOD'S work THROUGH other PEOPLE...

Example: The other day there was an elderly woman in front of me in line at the gas station, she only needed 16.00 to check out her car and she didn't have it - saying "I don't have 16.00" me hearing this immediately GOD said to ME.... you have an extra 16.00 give it to her.. I thought about it and I said, (in my mind) GOD? - Well, suppose this lady doesn't like BLACK PEOPLE or something why would you want me to GIVE her 16.00 if you say it to me again then I WILL KNOW it is you... pulled off and didn't get a BLOCK before I HEARD turn around and just pay it for her... and I DID IT.. REGARDLESS of how SHE FELT ABOUT ME... Because I LOVE GOD I DID what HE WANTED ME TO DO ... now who knows that could have possibly CHANGED her THINKING...

SHE said, Thank you.. but HOW MANY OF US HAVE BEEN IN A SITUATION WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO PURCHASE OR DO SOMETHING THAT IS VERY MUCH NEEDED...

I don't expect anything from anyone.. JUST DOING THE RIGHT THING, sometimes GOD does TELL US to do ODD things IT'S UP TO US TO DO IT, it could very well be SOMEONE ELSE'S BLESSING...

Source(s): JUST SAYIN'

Good deeds are the fruits of the Christian. This is how we know them.

• Reo

Exactly! I have raised this argument on yahoo since 2008. People want to follow the path of least resistance.

Fireball: and so are the tax collectors!

kindness and compassion and caring...God sees everything I do even if others dont...so im not going to brag here..