Nurses/doctors with experience treating car crash victims, lend me your wisdom!?

Hi all! I am doing some research for a novel and thought I would come here for some first hand experience! Basically, I need to know the following things: - What are the most common injuries for car crash victims (both for pedestrians and passengers) - When the patients arrive in A&E, what procedures are... show more Hi all! I am doing some research for a novel and thought I would come here for some first hand experience!
Basically, I need to know the following things:
- What are the most common injuries for car crash victims (both for pedestrians and passengers)
- When the patients arrive in A&E, what procedures are performed before they are sent to the wards?
- Typically, what medication/painkillers are they prescribed?
- Are drains often inserted into their wounds?
- What administration is required when they reach the ward?
- Typically, how long would patients of a relatively severe car crash (who have full chance of recovery) stay in the ward before going home?
- What complications typically arise in their treatment?
- And finally, can you think of any instances where the patients seemed to be recovering well, but then very suddenly developed some sort of complication (e.g. internal bleeding, haemorrhage, etc) that caused fatality?

Please answer as many as you can, with as much description of your own experiences as you are willing to give!

Many, many thanks!