what is the best recoil reducing ammo for a shotgun?

i have a mossberg maverick 88 12 gauge.

what other tips do you have for reducing the recoil of this type of shotgun.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • MJ
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

Use the lightest loads possible, such as Remington Managed-Recoil STS Target. These are only loaded with 7/8's oz. of shot in 12 ga. Remington's 12 ga. "Promotional" Game Loads only fire 1 oz. of shot, and will recoil less than Federal or Winchester's standard and inexpensive 1-1/8 oz. loads. ("Promotional" loads are the boxes of shells that you see for $5.99.)

Pull the butt firmly into your shoulder so that it doesn't get a "running start" when you fire. Wear a padded jacket. Put a better recoil pad on the butt of the shotgun such as the ugly but effective "LimbSaver."

Don't fire too many shots at a time.

• 10 years ago

If you are a female (as your avatar suggests) then I would think it likely that you are shorter than the 6-foot male that your gun was designed for.

FIT is important in a lot more than shoes. If a stock is too short for you, there is a danger of hitting yourself in the mouth with your own thumb when you fire. At the other extreme, if the stock is too long for you, you can't hold the gun securely.... and it kicks the bejabbers out of you.

The suggestions above are good ones mostly. There IS 'managed-recoil' ammo; it works.

There ARE Trap loads, and they are mild.

Kick-Eze does make pretty good recoil pads and I DO second the motion there.

But when you get your recoil pad fitted to the gun, take it to a real stockmaker.... and have the GUN fitted to YOU. Likely there will be a chunk sawed off the butt of your gun and, in theory, the gun will kick worse.... but you won't notice that at all. You will be able to HOLD the thing securely and the felt recoil will be much LESS.

People rag at those silly old British .303 rifles with that idiotic butt that needs a huge screwdriver to remove. How many people know that the old model Lee-Enfield had FOUR different butt lengths (Bantam, Short, Normal, Long) and that each rifle was fitted to the man who carried it? It made learning how to shoot faster and it made achieving real ACCURACY a lot quicker and easier. And the later model (with the back sight over the action) actually had SIX different butts... for the same reason, with the same results.

You can doi exactly the same thing: fit YOUR gun to YOU.

It will kick you a lot less.

And YOU will enjoy shooting even more than you do now.

• 10 years ago

Winchester Extra Light loads reduce cumulative trauma from recoil. Try a gun butt pad such as LimbSaver or Gooey Pad or Kick Eez. Pump shotguns kick more than semi-auto. Maybe try all three together for best reduction.

• 10 years ago

just get a kick eez recoil pad

http://www.kickeezproducts.com/

This are awesome! my shoulder use to bruise everytime, after I got this, no bruises, Also my wimpy wife shot with this and no bruising.. There is another company that make good pads too but i forgot the name...

LimbSaver...that's it

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

winchester makes a VERY light round

Source(s): kick eez is also a GREAT solution. i put one on my 12 guage and now i never get a bruise, i held the shotgun about an inch away from my shoulder and fired, still no bruise
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

snap caps!

• 10 years ago

good one

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.