What are you seeking?

Do you have a goal in mind, an image of "having arrived" either in life or Spiritually?

If so, do you have a plan for reaching this goal or vision of "having finally arrived"?

Will having a plan & a goal get you there?

If not, what then?

Please elaborate.

Thank You for answering!

Many Blessings!

Favorite Answer

At this exact moment I am seeking the hidden meaning in your question. I find you quite intriguing. I doubt I will ever figure you out, but not for lack of trying - - you are my million piece jigsaw puzzle.

Your question implies that we are all searching for something. Let me put that in the oven for a moment. Is this really true? Is everyone searching for something? Are there no human beings on this planet that are completely content exactly where they are?

When I look at other creatures in nature I wonder what they are seeking. The spider that built her web between my rose bushes, what was she seeking? Was it instinct alone that made her choose that location?

Why do we seek? What motivates us to do anything beyond what is necessary for physical subsistence? Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. Human beings, on the other hand seem to have a propensity for doing things the hard way.

I suppose, in general, people seem to seek that which they feel they do not possess: knowledge, wealth, wisdom, love, sex, happiness, peace, truth and God. My question is how can you miss something if you have never possessed it to begin with. I don't think any of us are really missing anything outside ourselves, I just think we miss what we have forfeit in place of this illusion.

Good luck!

Source(s): All knowledge and wisdom begins with the question why. Ask your mind and listen with your heart.
  • flip

Such an appropriate question! I've had goals in the past and whilst I know they are at times necessary right now I'd have to say I'm just seeking peace of mind. Struggled with family issues for the last 10 years and goals got blown out of the water every which way. Right now just seeking peace of mind and manageable life. Thanks for the question.

• Sara

Spiritually, I feel that I'm waiting at the side of the road, hoping to walk a few more miles with a spiritual master who just has to appear.

I had such a master once but lost her to old age.

Since I'm figuring on a couple more decades of life, I need another master of religious thought.

In the meantime, I read books about the search for God.

No plan, no goal, just patiently waiting on God, the real Guru, who will guide me Home to the place of the Heart.

• I am seeking how to surrender the "seek for God".

The Sufis have a very beautiful saying. They say, ’God is not found by seeking, and never found by those who don’t seek.’ First a man has to seek and then he has to surrender his seeking too – because in the seeking the seeker goes on existing. The seeker is the ego. Of course, if you never start seeking, you Will never find. You have to be thirsty for God. You have to start moving, groping in the dark.

But don’t become addicted to your groping. A moment comes when you start feeling that your will is not succeeding. But that moment comes only through will, effort, arduous effort. A moment comes when you start feeling that your will has failed, that you are utterly defeated. In that utter defeat is the victory. In that utter defeat you surrender. In that utter defeat you start crying. In that utter defeat you say, ’Now I cannot do any more. I am finished. Whatsoever I could do I have done.’ In that moment, when you have this total failure, this feeling of utter defeat, you disappear. You are no more there. The seeker has disappeared – through seeking.

To seek God is to seek the impossible. By seeking you cannot find it. If you can find God by your seeking then God will be something that you can possess, then God will be in your fist, then God will be your property – then God will not be greater than you. That which you can seek is bound to be smaller than you, it cannot be bigger than you. The lower cannot seek the higher and the smaller cannot seek the bigger.

You cannot possess the infinite, the eternal – that is absurd. But to understand that this is absurd one has to start seeking. You will not know it in any other way. One starts longing for God... that means that one is moving, desiring, longing, for God... that means that one is moving, desiring, longing, for the impossible. One day or other defeat is absolutely certain. In that defeat something transmutes, transforms. In that defeat the seeker disappears, will disappears – surrender happens.

You cannot surrender without that defeat. How can you surrender? Deep down you will continue thinking, ’I could have succeeded.’ Or you may even think that this surrender is something that you are doing – that you are the doer of the surrender too. But then it is not surrender. Surrender can happen only in utter defeat. Only utter defeat prepares you to surrender – not a single hope remains, not a single ray of light in the dark night of the soul. You have put everything at stake, now nothing is left. You are empty.

In that emptiness... surrender. That emptiness flowers into surrender. In that emptiness you are not, something new arrives. The seeker is no more there, the will has disappeared, but the seeking is there, the longing is there – even more so, because the energy that was involved in the seeker has also become longing. Now you are simply thirsty, knowing perfectly well that you cannot do anything. That moment of utter despair brings grace – that’s what Sufis call BARAKA.

When you have fallen flat and you cannot move even a single inch on your own, when you have again become a small child and you are crying and screaming for your mother, the mother comes. But you have to become helpless again.

Every seeker starts in will and ends in surrender.

Barakallah Feek

I had a goal at one time in my earlier years. Yeah every time I turn around now, someone usually out-goals me. I'd like to have a goal that no one has ever thought of before. I would be happy if i just had enough materializations to satisfy my meager needs and no more.

• Rob P

Seeking? I no longer seek myself. As far as plans, I don't believe I have ever been known as a planner at all throughout my life. Somewhere I was blessed with a natural "understanding", if you will. I really don't know how to explain it, it is something that has always been there within me.

As my understanding has grown, more like evolved, my desires of life simply have dissolved. Life has seem to have served me well. I have been most blessed my entire life and for this I am eternally grateful.

What I can tell you is getting to know and understand your own personal Truth is essential. In the act of doing such will help you to overcome those deep inner fears, our insecurities if you will. We all seem to have them, with some fears being deeper than others. I can tell you I still am discovering some of mine to this day. I'm in my forties now and I suppose I still have many years to discover more. However there will come a point where you begin to be at loving peace with yourself and who you truly are. Once you have "arrived" at this point, seeking no longer matters. Being becomes the state of joy that simply immerses you.

You will no longer be a state of performing a conscious act i.e. to seek, to be, to know, to act, to understand et al. Instead the 'to' will fall away. The act no longer being required. This is where you begin to become one with Life. Harmony, balance, peace... it won't be about achieving them or making the attempt to achieve them, you simply will be them. It is a 'knowingness' and I am not sure I can accurately express them in words. But I am certain each one of you who read this would recognize it in another when presented with such.

I wish you all wonderful blessings of Light, Life & Love.

Blessings

• Actually I really donno.

Perhaps the company of some good souls like you :)

Goal will be achieved, then wat?

I am etenal.

When all of us will be united from the bottom of our hearts, my target will be achieved, Though I didn't keep it as a goal coz there is lot more too to achieve and there is nothing to achieve when u know to tune with him ( for me it's Krishna). He will make you achieve every pleasurous thing provided that is should not be mundane.........provided that it should not be outer.

In short, I want to teach my heart to seek pleasure in myself not from outside.........This is what I want to do.

What am I seeking? hmmm , lets see. "Your new home address. "

Yes, I have goal in mind which is to meet my Guru

Yes, I have a plan for reaching this goal as well. I will email Guru for her new home address.

Yes, Having a plan and a plane ride will get me to Guru's house.

I am at office so I cant elaborte right now but I can assure "I am commin Guru!!!!"

Thank you for your questions. Peace, Love and Blessings!

Somehow, Robin Williams comes to mind and the part he played in "The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen". Is that not what we all want, for our head to be freed from our body of senses? I surely do and my plan is a balanced contemplation of the Ideal and Science. This plan is incomplete without a very strong will.

"Idealism is the potent Interpreter and Prophet of the Real; but its powers are impaired in proportion to their exposure to human passion."

I recently found this quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson that says it well: "The good news is that the moment you decide that what you know is more important than what you have been taught to believe, you will have shifted gears... Success comes from within, not from without."

The opportunities for creativity inherent in that concept are endless and exciting.

I'm seeking to become myself, in different and more creative ways. The process itself is the source of joy, and the destination is ever-changing.