Anonymous
Anonymous asked in News & EventsCurrent Events · 10 years ago

The Oil spill.....who's to blame?

So, we have a major catastrophe in the form of an oil slick that is destroying habitat and killing wildlife... Obama is calling BP all the names under the sun....really are they the evil money grabbing b@st@rds that the US president is claiming they are, or should we not see this as the price we have to pay for our dependence on oil based fuels.... the nature of oil is such that when leaks like this happen then the results are as seen. It's not like BP have engineered the leak just for the hell of it and then stood back and done nothing. I doubt that they tried to stem the flow of oil and purposefully messed up the operation.

The fact is, our reliance on oil causes these problems, sadly, we should be prepared to pay the price, both in terms of habitat/wildlife destruction and we should be ready to repair any damage as soon as we can....Two major points to remember, the US are the worlds largest consumer of oil derived products, and, remember the Exxon Valdez? Seem to recall they did very little to fix that major disaster caused by shortcuts and money saving measures, erm, isn't Exxon a US company??? So, Mr President, look closer to home... I won't even touch on the results of the unchecked greed of the US banks and lies by the US Govt that has resulted in the financial mess we all find ourselves in....

Or, am I wrong?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Zelda
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Alas, only ourselves because we failed to be pro-active, involved as we should have been. With that said, I understand it takes time, comittment, energy to fight the big ones. Especially if we are working and have a family. If everyone can take one one hour to educate themselves and vote accordingly, the American people will be heard. Please let your voice be heard.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

The Fault lies squarely with BP, but the federal government (and thereby Obama, since he wants to be the all knowing anointed one sitting on the throne) has to bear a certain level of responsibility as well. The fact is that BP had to obtain a permit to drill at that depth. Before the permit was issued, the federal government should have required a written plan from BP for dealing with a fire and subsequent sinking oil rig and a leak at 5000 feet below sea level. The problem is that technology of drilling far exceeded the technology to handle an emergency situation such as this. Funny that the government had no qualms about letting them drill but now wants to jump into BP's *** with both feet and a jackhammer after they (the government) failed to do their job in the first place and provide oversight of the project from the beginning. I mean, if you are going to take your family on a cross country trip in the car, don't you at least make sure you have a first aid kit and/or a tool kit in the car in case something happens?

But if you want to know who is to blame, ...BP is to blame. They should have drilled in a responsible manner. There is no way in HELL they can tell me, with all of the scientists and engineers they have on the payroll and who are NOW having to work 72 hour days to deal with this problem that someone didn't ask the glaringly obvious question "...what happens if the damn thing catches on fire and sinks and we have a leak down there?"

• 3 years ago

ok, I even have an answer that some pundits, alongside with Glen Beck have been attempting to make. They blame democrats. the explanation is because of the fact they gained't enable drilling in secure environments. So conventional of his short visioned at the back of. Claiming that they have the technologies to do it competently and not disrupt the ecosystem. Any unnatural presence there, extremely for an prolonged quantity of time, could disrupt the ecosystem. additionally, while they drill, they are no longer "careful." particular, they could have the technologies to do it competently, yet oil agencies are not going to be all in favour of conserving the ambience secure. Their recommendations is going to be on their salary. my own own answer: the government frequently. I say this because of the fact atleast 10 years in the past, while i grew to become into in center college, there grew to become right into a great style of communicate approximately study for decision gasoline materials. If the government had funded that study the way they should have, we does no longer be in this catch 22 subject that we are in now. whether a concrete gas decision hadn't been got here across, hybrid vehicles could be much low priced.

• 10 years ago

Even if there was absolutely no environmental damage these oil wells under this much pressure is liquid gold. They are losing tons of money even if it wasn't causing cleanup concerns. It is nonsense to think they are sloppy because they don't care about the environment. Hell, they are not sloppy because they want every last nickel and dime from the oil well. They are losing $3 Million per day from lost revenue of the oil sales of this single well.

So for those that want to blame the "greedy oil company" should take a better look at greed. Greed is saying, "I want $3,000,000 a day instead of Zero." And that greed is the driving force to do things right from the beginning so they won't lose a drop of oil.

It's like the neighbor having the goose that lays the golden egg every day and thinking that your neighbor is so stupid that they cut corners feeding him to save money and now he is sick. No, BP has more than one goose and has done it before you even heard of a "blowout preventer."

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dale
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

BP is to blame, they cut corners, they didn't care that they didn't have a plan in case of a blowout. Because they were greedy they would make billions anyway but wanted to add a few dollars more to their pockets, so they gambled and lost. Now peoples lives and livelihoods are destroyed, our land is destroyed and the gulf is destroyed. For a few extra dollars. Our national guard needs to be at the spill site to "supervise" BP. The BP executives need to be subpoenaed to testify under oath to see if they were lying then or are they lying now. This is no different than an enemy attack on the U.S. BP executives could use a few months of jail time to think about what they've done.

• 10 years ago

you are right. The American people's reliance on the black gold has caused this problem. In their rush to hand out contracts and get the oil flowing - the previous administration Bush/Cheney handed out contracts and relaxed safety issues to get the oil up. Going that deep for oil brings about certain technical issues that needed to be addressed but that of course costs time and money and those are the anathemas to the oil industry because that costs money and not so much profit is made. Also whenever the gas prices go up in America there is a huge outcry from the people because its not popular so administrations pander otherwise they will be booted from office.

Is the current American way of life sustainable - and not just America but the West in general - I dont think it is.

• Leo
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

Over the years we have been lucky to drive or fly quite cheaply because we have relied on the extraction of easy crude oil, just off shore or on land but now we are have used most of that we have to go into deep water or the Arctic where it gets expensive and risky. Now we have to ask our self's can we safety extract oil at a price we are willing to pay at the pumps and to the environment?.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

BP is to blaim. They should have done a better job as far as checking the pipes and maintaining it

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

BP's safety protocols are a long-term issue. they have repeatedly in the past failed safety inspections on that rig, and the protocols for dealing with rising pressure in the drill line was ignored. why? I don't know. innattention to detail or laziness on the crew. but it was avoidable and is solely operator error that caused the explosion.

• 10 years ago

Didn't you learn from the Bush adminitration that if anything goes wrong you are to blame the president.

So obviously, it's Obamas fault.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.