Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsTVs · 1 decade ago

How does a 3-D TV work?

3-D TV's came out a couple weeks ago. I was wondering if anyone knew how they worked? I have heard that they display two different colours on the screen and the glasses each block out one colour on each side. That gives an illusion of depth.

Mainly though, I was wondering if anyone knows how the TV displays two different colours on the screen. Does anyone know?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • kg7or
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, the 2-color scheme applies to older cinema movies. The new active-shutter system basically works by a dual lens camera capturing two images, one of which ultimately goes to each eye to give an artificial sensation of depth.

The TV set rapidly switches back and forth between the left and right images, and electronic glasses alternately cut off the left and right lens in synch with the switching in the TV. The switching is so fast that you can't see it, resulting in separate images for each eye.

• 1 decade ago

They are not the old anaglyph red/blue 3-D. The ones out now use 'shutter' technology. They use electronic glasses with lcds inside them. The lcds block out one eye at a time. The screen then shows one view, for the uncovered eye, then both the glasses and tv alternate back and forth to trick your brain into thinking they see a complete 3-D picture. This happens so fast only some people will notice a slight flicker effect.

Other, hopefully better, technologies will come out later that use much cheaper polarized glasses and even no glasses at all.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.