Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Dog Section. Gastroentenitis or Pancreatitis? Raw feeders?

Ok, so we went to the vet(yall can go through my questions), and was told my Toy Poodle has Gastroentrenis(sp?), or Pancreatitis. They are still doing blood work. I was sent home with medicine and Prescription Diet ID dog food. Do I have to feed that stuff to her? My dogs are on raw meat diets.

I know. She's had it before, and it did no good..I mean had the Hill's ID

I was wondering if dairy could cause either of those problems.

I told them. While they didn't say anything, they weren't impressed.

They said to feed that stuff, and then to go back to her regular diet.

I don't feed dairy, I was just wondering.

• Favorite Answer

gastritis(sp) is vet talk for: "belly ache" unknown.

pancreatitits...they should know if it's that from the bloodwork. GOD NO HLLS ID!!! You can feed cooked rice and chicken instead if you want something like ID but actually healthy.

Some of my mom's senior dogs had pancreatitis, and my old dog had it once , an acute form after he ate a ham bone (cooked..i know, that's very bad, it was from the petstore, now I know much better)

Pancreatitis usually happens from eating greasy foods, either long term or a large amount all of a sudden. some dogs are more genetically prone to it than others. and usually happens more with older dogs, but the genetic ones get it young.

From reading, I believe the "raw experts" would say fast your dog for a day, then feed raw still.

You feed dairy? I'm honestly not sure. I know cooked fatty/greasy does.

ADD: read the ingredients in I/D. All it is, is chicken and rice and added preservative chemicals, fillers and crap, oh and vitamins from China.

Even my pro-science diet former vet said feeding rice and chicken is the same thing.

Why do you think raw feeding is a cult mentality? That's sort of offensive, as if we have weak minds... every raw feeder who does it right, does their own research, and have their own reasons for wanting to feed raw.

Now other Hills formulas, like K/D and U/I are different (still CRAP though and homemade or raw diets are always better for treating illness) K/D has low phosphorus and protein, for kidney health for example. But I/D is nothing but single protein and carb then the rest of the crap that's in dog food.

Vets get money for selling Hills. Maybe not all that from just 1 purchase. But it adds up. That's why they want to sell it to every "gastritis" case they get.

• Sheesh...good question.

Gastroenteritis and pancreatitis both basically mean inflammation of the pancreas and stomach. There can be any number of causes. I hope it is all okay!

Did you not tell the vet you had her on a Raw diet? I've looked at the I/D dog food ingredients and I can't see how that would be good on a dogs stomach...but there must be some reason they prescribe it and it can't be ALL monetary gain. Maybe if you went to a boiled chicken and rice diet instead?

I've starred this. I have some contacts that are raw feeders...maybe they have advice. I feed raw when I can but Orijen kibble usually.

ETA: Dairy? As in milk or cheese? It can definitely cause tummy upset. And as gastroenteritis is fancy talk for a stomach ache, yes, the dairy could be the cause of that. My Father in law had pancreatitis from gall stones and an infection in his gall bladder. ~shrug~

I really do hope it is something easy to cure!

Lol "Unimpressed" Fantastic. Well at least they didn't hassle you about it. Some vets are REALLY critical.

• Erika

I agree with all the posters above and do very much the same. I do have friends that allow their dogs to catch wild rabbits and they eat the fur as well in very quick time. There was a guy on here once who also asked whether it was ok to breed mice to feed his dogs. The answer would be yes, however, I couldn't do that even if that is hypocritical. Agree with Curtis also that you need to balance out the foods. I also feed the offal over two meals in one week as it is too much to divide down into small amounts. So I feed the percentage in weight but just twice a week. I also try to get as many varied meat cuts as possible from larger animals and obviously use the whole of chicken, fish, rabbit and smaller prey.

• Trixi

Vets aren't food stores, so if your vet is telling you to feed that food, you should listen. Those foods are very good at treating the issues they are made to treat. I cook my dog's food (not raw) but will still feed that food on the rare occasions that the vet tells me to (like after an injury). Good luck!

Pancreatitis is generally caused by too much fat. So if it is that, I would cut down on the amount of fat she is getting. Gastroenteritis is basically a stomach ache, dairy could cause this as most dogs are lactose intolerant.

I agree with Uhave2, until you know for sure what is wrong with you're dog, as in narrowed down to one possibility. I would trust you're vet, you don't want to inadvertently make it worse.

• -raises hand- I'm a cultist and I say stick to raw. Feed leaner plain foods (chicken backs or turkey necks with the fat trimmed) and NO DAIRY. Dairy is probably what caused it, dairy = high in fat, not to mention dogs are lactose intolerant. I never feed any form of dairy whatsoever not even the plain yogurt many swear by. If I can't find it in a dead animal I don't feed it. Feeding this way has meant 0 problems for me.

Nikko, the raw diet has less protein than many dog foods. Meat doesn't = Protein. Meat = Mostly water and protein percentages in the teens.

Have you already tried out Eating for Energy (120 raw food diet recipes) strategy? Proceed on this page : http://www.StayEatingRaw.com/Free . It might surely benefit anyone!

Vets pass that out because their schooling was funded and supplied with "studies" and literature from the major food conglomerates. That's just what they do - doesn't make it right. I'd donate that stuff to a shelter straight away.

I'm glad to hear that they're performing bloodwork.

Pancreatitis, from what I've gathered, is when the pancreas has worked too much overtime and no longer produces the digestive enzymes necessary to break down food. Kind of like diabetes - if you eat too much sugar (which is NOT a dietary need), then you overload your system and teach your body "Hey, there's no need to produce insulin - I eat it several times a day already."

But the deal with pancreatitis is severe, because the pancreas is so overloaded from producing extra enzymes due to not RECEIVING any during the food intake, that it just kind of whacks out, stops working.

That's why I say keep feeding your dog REAL food, fresh food, food that he was made to eat. He'll receive living nutrition, instead of something that's been extruded and baked and sprayed with carcinogenic preservatives and God knows what else.

Good luck to you!

even though I do not fully support raw I wouldn't go straight back to kibble, I would think that would make the problem worse because that is a drastic change in diet, even though it is bland. Do you have a vet in your area that supports raw, or at least knows a little more about it?

do you feed veggies that are high in fiber as well?

I found this article from ehow which is not the best source but reading it over it makes sense to me. http://www.ehow.com/way_5184710_raw-meat-diet-dogs...

That stuff doesn't do much good. The people on a great raw feeding list I am part of only use the medicine when their dogs are sick; they never feed the food. The just continue feeding raw and their dogs tend to get better pretty quick.

Good luck!

Source(s): Mutt