African American proctors?

Ok I live in Maryland and I noticed that alot of light skin African Americans have the last name proctor. So I asked are they all related and my friend so they inbreed with their own cousins so that their kids will be extremely light skin with long hair? Has anyone else heard of this?

Favorite Answer

Yes, it's not uncommon in some areas of the country, especially the south. The Proctors are only one family in southern Maryland with that reputation. Yes, they are known for marrying other very light skinned people in order to keep their family light skinned. I don't know if they still keep this traditional alive since being light skinned doesn't carry the same significance it once did.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

African American proctors?

Source(s): african american proctors: https://tr.im/w7FNT

I am a descendant of the Proctors of Southern Maryland. Yes they did intermarry amongst one another but not so that they can remain "light skinned". It was the way it was because of rules set upon them by the government. In short,...The Proctors were one of the original settlers of Southern Maryland and intermixed with the Piscataway and African slaves in the area. Back in those times,..it was not unusual to have "tri-racial" societies in the DELMARVA (Delaware, Maryland & Virginia) area. They were looked down upon and segregated because of that. There's a whole lot more to this story but I hope it helps a little

• Melvalena4 years agoReport

Exactly right Carlos!
      Here are some more names to add to that list:
      Linkins/Lincoln, Swan/Swann and Massey.

My Dad is Richard Proctor Jr. of Washington DC and they were light skinned.

My Granny is Virginia Crawford of Virginia 'DELMARVA'

My mother was Regina Rena Byrd Dark Skinned Woman from Pensacola, Florida

Wow, I'm doing a family tree and i believe my great great great was Jerry P Proctor from MD. I only have a pic of his grandson-Ernest(my great grand father) who was light skinned. He didn't marry a light skinned woman nor was she related.

I know some Proctors but the ones I know don't play that. Seems like they married the darkest men they could find. There's also the Swann family that is known for the inbreeding.

This is crazy. Maybe years ago but I married a Swann and I'm darn sure not her relative.

I do