Stevie Wonder: Overrated, Neither, or Underrated (Your opinions)?

My opinion: neither

Favorite Answer

well, kinda both. depends on the album, the song, the era. i think songs in the key of life is an overrated album buoyed by a couple stand out tracks. i think innervisions is an underrated album. talking book is amazing, and generally regarded as such. i guess all things considered, he has had a long career with some amazing moments that are often too forgotten about and some mediocre moments that no one seemed to mind. he is occasionally accessible to a fault and yet he is responsible for some incredibly fresh and innovative music as well. overall he is a legend and deserves to be one.

I would say neither, almost to overrated. I cannot help but feel that he got some of his Grammy awards because he's blind. I hate to say that, but look at all the other people who've received Grammy awards solely for dying (e.g., Steve Goodman's Grammy for "City of New Orleans," Warren Zevon's Grammy for "The Wind") so the Grammy people have a habit of dishing out "sympathy" awards.

Having said that, Stevie Wonder made some of the best music Motown ever put out, and at least he has been rewarded for that music in his lifetime.

• townes

Neither. He was a superstar back in his prime, couldn't have been more highly rated, and I think people still recognize his contributions.

Then again, he may be under-remembered. In this category, a lot of people seem to still idolize 70s artists who were no more popular than Stevie Wonder and whose music is equally dated. Maybe it's just the category.

Neither, generally; then overrated among some musicians (as happens with any artist).

...then, probably underrated among white people. (White people probably prefer Barry Manilow, Lynyrd Skynyrd, or some other really really white group. The Partridge Family?)

Source(s): Stevie Wonder fan / musician / white person...
  • kilty

His technical command of his medium and understanding are outstanding. an exceedingly proficient artist. not for all human beings, clearly, as a results of fact it somewhat is the humanities. regardless of works for you, guy. i'd learn him to different musical artists. between my favorites are George Gershwin, Richard Rogers, John Lennon, Irving Berlin, Max Steiner. yet learn Beethoven, Bach, Mozart. Will his recognition be on their point in a hundred+ years? Wait 2 an prolonged time and sweetness back.

Neither - he is considered a really credible artist, and has been for decades - he's influenced many RnB artists and he has been extremely inspirational throughout his career.

He deserves all the success he has had and he is definitely an awesome songwriter, singer and musician.

Source(s): Big Stevie fan.

I agree with neither. He got the credit he deserved and the criticism I agreed with. Unlike so many bands that are overated with one good song he put out many.

Neither. He's well known for pure talent.