Windows XP Files Corrupted.. Need Help Please?

My laptop was working fine but then ran out of power so when I came to switch it all back on it came up saying that my Windows files had corrupted and needed repairing & that I needed to insert the Windows XP CD to fix it. I did so and tried all the different settings I could to repair it but nothing worked. If anyone could offer any advice or help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you (:

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

You should do an XP repair.

In general you want to do a repair install and NOT use the repair console.

Detailed instructions for a repair install are here http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm He also describes how to create an XP disk with the service pack included easily.

If you can no longer do a repair install or find it too complicated, DO NOT reformat and reinstall as this will wipe you out and leave you with nothing but the operating system. You would have to reinstall all your programs and much of your data would be inaccessible.

Reimage can repair your system even if a repair install fails. It costs a little but it is well worth it to save your data. It takes about 30 minutes and preserves your programs and data. If you are not happy with the results, you don't have to pay and you can reverse any changes that it made. More information here http://www.askthecomputerdoc.com/blog/cant-repair-...

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

At the XP install window, choose R to repair your computer. Log into your windows installation, and type fixboot, then confirm.

After that , type chkdsk /p

Those may help... otherwise it could be fairly complicated. Try doing a full repair install on your computer if the above stuff does not work. You may loose data.

Source(s): Geek. http://www.varnespc.com
  • 4 years ago

A lot of spyware threats can be killed by Spybot and Adaware, but the most typical problem is that people don't clean their registry or use the immunization tool that's included in spybot. So... Restart your computer in safe mode with networking (Internet connection) run spybot, delete whatever issues it finds, then run adaware, repeat the same. Then goto the site below and download Easycleaner, then click on the registry part, search and delete everything it finds (invalid registry settings) Then goto click on where it says Startup. Look through there and delete anything you don't want to start up when your computer starts up. It might be that there is some type of program your booting up every single time you restart your computer that is causing the issue. After doing all that, restart your computer, should boot up faster and run better.

• David
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

you need to do an repair-install to fix this, you will need an XP CD install disk not simple a laptop recovery disk here is a link

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall....

if the repair-install doesn't work your only option is restore from a backup if you have one or a factory restore but you will lose all your data

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Your file's have become fragmented, u need a register re builder, Microsoft has 1 it a .bat file. Go & put registry defrager in Google, & it was free, It rebuild my registry, it run like a scandisk, you need that, e-mail me if u can't find it. But first u may be able it fix it your self w a little, maintenance, defrag ur drive, no a disk clean up, do a scan disk& then boot w ur floppy, at the a prompt type scandisk/all & hit enter, after that at the a prompt type sys space c: & hit enter, that a system transfer,as soon as u see system transferred pop ur floppy out & hit enter, u should see a new computer.Also do a system restore.

Source(s): Charles
  • 10 years ago

Go to safe mode by pressing f8 (depend on your Bios) continuously...once your are in safe mode...try to defrag your C:\ drive or all HDD using defraggler and repair your registry using ccleaner or revo uninstaller

Check the source for download links

Source(s): Http://www.squidoo.com/free2-u
  • 10 years ago

To repair it, you need to reboot from the CD. Keep, going until you reach "Repair".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.