Adding RAM to motherboard?

I have an MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard and now I have 2 - 1 Gig stick in Slots 1 and 3. Do I have to add the same size Memory to slots 1 and 4 or can it be whatever I choose???

• Jamfo
    Best Answer

You can add different SIZES from the orignal, but the RAM must be the same TYPE as your original RAM.

For example, your MSI K9N SLI Platinum motherboard uses DDR2-800 memory modules. If you currently have 2x1GB DDR2-800 modules on the motherboard, you will want to pair them with another set of DDR2-800 modules with the same latencies and timings. If you don't match your pairs, the system will default to the settings of the SLOWEST pair. If your new pair is the slower of the two, you could actually decrease your system performance.

So as long as your modules match, you can install any memory size... 2x512-MB, 2x1-GB, 2x2GB, etc.

Just remember that if you are running a 32-bit operating system and not a 64-bit operating system that the maximum memory you can use in the computer is roughly 4-GB. So if you were thinking of adding 2x2-GB to take your system to 6-GB, don't spend the additional money if you aren't running a 64-bit OS. The operating system won't use anything over 4-GB, so it will just go to waste!

Good luck!

The motherboard I see in this cyber web internet site exhibits 2 Ram slots , What you're definitely seeing is a ram slot divided in separate sections. Do you spot the white tabs at each end of the two slots? those are the locking connectors at each end of the ram modules. Ram slots will not be able to be extra on your mobo in case you ought to function extra ram slots then you definitely ought to enhance your mobo .

Technically no, it doesn't matter however it's a good idea to match them - different sticks have different cas latencies etc so you can get a performance hit if you say stick a slower piece in - the system defaults to the lowest performing stick. It's a good idea to put the best stick in slot zero if you're going to mix and match, as it's the first address and will get used first.