How do Creationists explain human chromosome #2, which matches 2 ape chromosomes combined. Evolution theory...?

....predicted this years before the genomes of apes and humans were closely compared. (A published article discussing the fact that apes have 24 chromosome pairs and humans 23 pairs specifically predicted that some day genome mapping would show evidence of two chromosomes of apes being combined in humans. And that is exactly what more recent discoveries have found.)

So how are Creationists responding to this impressive demonstration of evolution theory's predictive powers?

===========================================================

OPTIONAL DETAILS:

The evidence is startling: fusion of ancestral chromosomes left distinctive remnants of telomeres, and a vestigial centromere. When scientists point out that the theory of evolution is valuable in predicting more and more details of human and ape genomes, they are not overstating their case.

I'm a Bible-believing Christian who is definitely a Creationist (meaning that I believe that God created all that we observe in the world.) So I also believe that God created science and honest study of science and honest study of the Bible need not be considered in conflict. (And history has demonstrated that Christians have a tendency to confuse their INTERPRETATION of what the Bible says with Biblical inerrancy. Many Christians scoffed at the Copernican model of the solar system because "It clearly contradicts the Bible's statements of the sun rising and setting." Yet now we explain to students of the Bible that figures of speech should not be confused with Biblical cosmology. So how many similar errors do Christians make about understanding Genesis?)

Clearly, evolution predicted and explains human chromosome #2 in a credible way. How does creationist theory explain it? [I'm not claiming that evolution theory provides the ONLY possible explanation. I'm simply saying this is another excellent example of credibility and evidence which we Creationists regularly demand. So what is the Creationist response?]

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

There is no such thing as true evolution. No new creatures have ever been made from existing creatures. Adaptation and change, yes, but new life forms from old...NEVER!! And adaptation and change, is a trait that God put into all creatures as part of their makeup. He was wise enough to know that change, both man made and climate, would cause creatures to adapt to continue existence. There has NEVER been positive proof of new creatures from old. Man never was an another creature, other than Man! If so, I would love to hear about it! My sources can give you more information.Thanks, and have a great day!!

Source(s): Romans 3:10 Romans 3:23 Romans 5:12 Romans 6:23 John 3:15-17 Matthew 7:21-23 Romans 10:9-13 Revelations 20:11-15 2 Corinthians 4:3-4 Ephesians 3:8-9 Why prayer doesn't work for some? Matthew 21:22 (emphasis on BELIEVING) See above!! Mark 11:24-26
  • Rhonda
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Actually, the evolutionary interpretation has overstepped the mark -- it doesn't demonstrate common ancestry, it assumes it. All the way through it talks about the chromosomes of a common ancester etc. But by putting the evidence into the evolutionary framework ahead of time it has confused what the evidence actually points to. The evidence does indicate (assuming that the God-created-it-to-look-like-fusion explanation is invalid) that human chromosomes were once more similar to those of apes than they are currently, but that is all.

• phrog
    Lv 7
    10 years ago

I don't know that anyone has really looked into it yet - but here are my personal thoughts on it........

evolution assumes a common ancestor

creation assumes a common creator

and God is a scientist.

either one could account for this......although most assume it has to be one or the other, I think not necessarily (one who is set on interpreting evidence in favor of only one outcome is not doing good science......)

the entire claim of common descent (in this case) is because one of our chromosomes looks like two of the ape chromosomes.

chromosomes can split or join, with little or no effect on the genes themselves. and the entire interpretation is based on the understanding that telomeres and centromeres behave only one way......we don't definitively know that. we assume that because it is what we know how to do (ie: dog breeding etc.) we can only offer explanations based on the knowledge we currently have. we can sometimes expostulate from there, but it is still only base on what we know. (ie: the world is flat, things at a distance disappear a little @a time - postulate: the world is round)

assuming instead a common creator - He would have understood what was needed to initiate the genetic difference and what it would look like.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Creationists make up all sorts of nonsense and wind up putting their feet in their mouths.

"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense, Except in the Light of Evolution"- Theodosius Dobzhansky

"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory." - Scott D. Weitzenhoffer

Steve Jones, the award-winning geneticist and author, argued that suggesting that creationism and evolution be given equal weight in education was “rather like starting genetics lectures by discussing the theory that babies are brought by storks”. Panda's thumb

Books:

The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey -Spencer Wells

Your inner fish- Neil Shubin

Why evolution is true- Jerry A. coyne

The Link-Colin Tudge

Only a Theory-Kenneth R. Miller

The Greatest Show on Earth- Richard Dawkins

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

goddidit because it hurts my head..

mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :(

• 10 years ago

What you are talking about is the modern equivalent to when Galileo looked to the heavens to see it was all a lie.

Creationists look stupid, to answer your question.

• 10 years ago

goddidit

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Divine Copy/Paste.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

The Bible says, "kind after kind". You cannot reproduce from an ape or with an ape.

Perhaps you read too fast.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.