I didn't understand the end of Shutter Island?

I have watched the movie twice once in theaters. I don't understand what happens at the end. Does Andrew still realize who he is? or does he relapse and thinks that he is teddy again?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Shutter Island is my favorite film. There are many ways to interpret the ending. Here are three of my interpretations of the film:

1. Andrew was a patient at Shutter Island's mental institution for the criminally insane. He killed his wife after she drowned their children. Depressed after the death of his family, he deluded himself into believing he had a different life. In the different life, he is a marshal named Teddy Daniels who heroicly attempts to find a missing patient, but memories of his real life keep interfering with the delusion. At the end, his psychiatrist and doctor wake him up from his delusion. He was the missing patient. Not wanting to live life knowing the truth, he decides to fake being delusional in order to get his memory erased by being lobotomized.

2. Andrew was a patient at Shutter Island's mental institution for the criminally insane. He killed his wife after she drowned their children. Depressed after the death of his family, he deluded himself into believing he had a different life. In the different life, he is a marshal named Teddy Daniels who heroicly attempts to find a missing patient, but memories of his real life keep interfering with the delusion. At the end, his psychiatrist and doctor wake him up from his delusion. He was the missing patient. Unable to live with the truth, he becomes delusional again. The doctor and psychiatrist lobotomize him.

3. Teddy Daniels is a marshal who tries to find a missing patient of a mental institution for the criminally insane on Shutter Island. He is lured by the doctors of Shutter Island, because they want to do a scientific experiment on him. They lie to him saying that a patient has escaped the hospital. They poison him with drugs to make him delusional. At the end, Teddy decides to leave the island. Dr. Cawley is waiting for him along with Teddy's partner Chuck (secretly a doctor from Shutter Island). The mixture of their lies and poison, makes him believe them and turn delusional. They do their experiments on him.

• 4 years ago

Ending Of Shutter Island

• 1 decade ago

WELL I THINK THE GUY WAS THE ONE THAT WAS THE MOST DANGEROUS PERSON ON THE ISLAND EVERYBODY ELSE WAS FAKE. AND THEY GAVE HIM PILLS SO HE CAN THINK so this is the story i think

He was a patient at Ashcliffe. He murdered his wife and burned down their apartment after she murdered their three children. He WAS a US Marshall but went crazy after this incident. He convinced himself that he was a different Marshall and he was investigating an escape on the island, and the staff went along with the illusion to try and cure him. When they finally confronted him he accepted his true self, but relapsed shortly after and was labotomized. However, you have to wonder whether he actually relapsed or if he was choosing the lobotomy to run away from the guilt and the pain he feels. He asks in the end, "Is it better to live as a monster, or die as a good man." It seems like he possibly chose to live as a "good man" (with a lobotomy and no memeory of what he did) rather than live as a monster with a broken mind.

• Dorkus
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Just watched this last night. My thought was he still realizes who he was. But when he said is it worse to live as a monster or die as a good man. He figured by dying, he'd do the world a favor. Because he realized now that he was a monster given he murdered his wife. So instead of continuing to live his life as a "monster" who really could never be let back into the real world or become really normal again. Might as well rid the world of one less monster and become a good man at the same time...so dying as a good man. Kind of sad, but really it's a terrible situation for him. Good movie.

~G

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

I interpreted the ending as Andrew still realizing who he is. There is one line that he says, I don't remember it exactly - "Would you rather live as a monster or die as a good man?" I took that as him being Andrew, but somewhat pretending to live as Teddy in the moment, before walking to recieve his lobotomy. So he'd rather die, pretending to be Teddy - the good man... Although he knew that he truly was a monster inside.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, I'm sure there are many ways of interpreting it.

• 1 decade ago

Andrew realizes who he is in the end. When he says "Which would be worse, to live as a monster or to die as a good man?," he basically says that he'd rather lie and live in denial as Teddy and die with the procedure thing that they do with the brain, Rather than to acknowledge his life as Andrew and "live" like the "monster" that he really felt he was.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

The action picture inception grew to become right into a cliffhanger, Shutter Island grew to become into no longer. interior the top they actually clarify that Leonardo decaprios character grew to become right into a ctually loopy and the entire action picture grew to become into purely them appearing out the loopy characters fantasy of being a detective.

• 1 decade ago

@Youarewelcome

When the word "end" is in the question, then spoilers should be kind of a no brainer.

And to answer the question, as most people have already said, Andrew was aware of who he was, but he pretended to have a relapse, that way he wouldnt have to live as a killer.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

Movie is Combination of Dream & Hallucination concept

• 1 decade ago

Take your time and watch it closely. You can watch Shutter Island online for free at http://www.clicktowatchmovie.com/shutter-island

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.