AirPort Full Body Scanners: Protection or Invasion of Privacy?

Some people say that these scanners, because they see through every bit of clothing, it is an invasion of ones personal space. Some people say it is good because they want to be protected. What do you think?

Best Answer

Of course it's an invasion of privacy. Is it a protection too? Possibly. The question should be whether it's enough of a protection, from a big enough threat, to be worth the invasion of privacy.

I happen to think the answer is no.

These are not "sexy" or public info images. I have had a bladder removal because of cancer. As a result, I wear a plastic bag to collect my urine. Without the full body scanners any liquid in such a bag is not found. I have flown on a number of flights with a full outside artificial bladder which could contain liquid explosive but as I did not go through a full body scanner, went undetected. I strongly urge the use of a full body scanner for all passengers.

• Dylan

Terrorism is a joke. It's killed fewer people than lightning. Or coconuts. Or sharks. Not to mention that even if we had another 9/11 every month, flying would still be safer than driving.

It's an excuse to destroy our freedoms. Bush was so dumb, he played right into Osama's hands, destroying the very freedoms bin Laden wanted him to.

Taking my shoes off is an invasion of privacy. Looking through my bags, my pockets, telling me I can't take water with me, it's all an invasion of privacy.

It's disgusting, un-American, and cowardly.

However, if they hired attracting 20-somethings to frisk me, I would be okay with that.

• Diana

More like a violation of my Constitutional rights under the Fourth Amendment "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. ---------->>>>>> I fully expect to get many thumbs -up for this answer from the Cons who are always screaming about how this or that issue is unconstitutional

• Bridge

They are a horrible invasion of privacy. A terrorist could still stuff bomb material up into themselves. I don't trust the government that says the images are not kept.

If a person thinks they are an invasion of privacy.....then they do NOT need to be flying anywhere.

If these things can find 'hidden' items on a person's body.....excellent! From what some of my friends, who have flown lately, have said....the scanned image does NOT face other passengers...so there's no problem.

• *

Invasion of personal body space, and showing everything, can be fun.

Please, let me give you a full body scan, free of charge. If you still don't like them, you can find a new scanner, but give me a try!

You have a right to drive instead of taking a plane.

Protection. At least they block your face and genitals. (from what I hear)

with all these bomb threats. airport are not taking any chances.