Do most Roman Catholics agree with this "interesting" statement posted here today by a Catholic:?

"The Catholic Church codified the Bible in the first place, so a Protestant trying to tell us what it means is about as audacious as a third grader explaining quantum physics to Stephen Hawking."

How do Roman Catholics here regard such a statement?

[OK. I admit, even though I often stand up for Catholicism on this forum, this statement cracked me up and made me feel embarrassed for RC's. But what do you think?]

==============================

Do those agreeing with this statement believe that Catholics are somehow better educated/informed as to the Bible than Protestants? (Why or why not?)

Favorite Answer

Here's a link to your original question, so that people can see what I said in context:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Ah9S6...

You're absolutely right to feel embarrassed, but for all the wrong reasons. Your condescending tone towards Catholics should humiliate you, but apparently it doesn't. The same is true of this question: not providing a reference to the original post so that the reply can be seen in context is shoddy and manipulative.

There are over 35,000+ Protestant denominations, sects, and splinter groups, most of whom claim to have the "true interpretation" of the Bible. "Sola Scriptura" sounds like a great idea in theory. But in actual practice, it has come to mean "By MY interpretation of Scripture alone," and that accounts for quite a few of the splits in Protestant churches. One group disagrees with the other group's version of the truth, and a new sect is formed.

In comparision, the Catholic Church doesn't rely on one or two people's interpretation of the Bible to formulate doctrine. The three parts of forming doctrine (the Bible, the teachings of the Magesterium, and Sacred Tradition) act as a checks-and-balances system to keep one person's interpretation from overwhelming the process.

So feel free to laugh if you'd like, but Protestants really don't have a lot of room to tell the Catholic Church what the Bible means or what we (the collective members of the Church) should believe. If they did, they'd all still be Lutherans.

Edit:

Yes, the statement was hyperbole, and the "us" was a collective pronoun referring to the Church as a whole. I intended the remark to shock you into reconsidering your condescending attitude towards Catholics, and apparently I succeeded.

As to whether or not an individual Catholic knows more about the Bible than a particular Protestant, that's an apples and oranges comparision. A Jesuit priest may know more about Scripture than Methodist John Doe, and a Baptist pastor may understand more than Catholic Mary Smith. Or maybe not. It depends on the individual Catholic and the individual Protestant.

What *is* true is that "Sola Scriptura" tends to evoke a "Where's that in the BYH-buhl?" response from fundamentalist Protestants concerning any point of Catholicism that they don't agree with. The smug assumption is that Pastor Soanso's sermon or Sister Betternu's Sunday School lesson somehow trumps the centuries of collective prayer, study, and discernment that goes into the formulation of Catholic doctrines.

It may be intended humorously, but there is truth in the old joke (Spoiler: hyperbole alert) that you can put members of five different Protestant religions in a room, ask them what a particular Bible passage means. . .

. . .and end up with six different opinions.

Source(s): Catholic convert
  • Daver

<<Do most Roman Catholics agree with this "interesting" statement posted here today by a Catholic:? "The Catholic Church codified the Bible in the first place, so a Protestant trying to tell us what it means is about as audacious as a third grader explaining quantum physics to Stephen Hawking." How do Roman Catholics here regard such a statement?>>

It's a little "strong", but I do agree with the sentiment - that non-Catholics are NO AUTHORITIES on Catholicism.

<<[OK. I admit, even though I often stand up for Catholicism on this forum, this statement cracked me up and made me feel embarrassed for RC's. But what do you think?]>>

I'm not embarassed by it.

Like I said, it was - perhaps unecessarilly(?) "strong" - but the sentiment is accurate.

<<Do those agreeing with this statement believe that Catholics are somehow better educated/informed as to the Bible than Protestants? (Why or why not?)>>

Catholics are better educated and informed in Catholicism.

Non-Catholics are not.

Some really good answers here. I think the statement goes a bit too far but I more or less agree.

As a Catholic I believe that the Catholic church was founded by Jesus Christ circa 33 AD. I do not find it very convincing when Protestants, who came along roughly 1500 years later, say that we have it all wrong.

I am not so sure I would say that Catholics are better informed than Protestants about the Bible. Catholics and Protestants see the bible differently. Catholics see the bible as part of our faith but not our entire faith. Catholics see the bible as the result of our faith but not the source of our faith.

• John S

As a catholic...

I don't agree with the over the top exaggeration or hyperbole expressed in that statement. I don't think that the Catholic faith is so entirely superior to ALL Protestants that it is like Stephen Hawking compared to a 3rd grader... But the first part of the sentence "The Catholic Church codified the Bible" is historically accurate.

I assume that the person you quoted was either feeling a bit too superior OR using hyperbole to make a point. Another wards, he doesn't think ALL Protestants are Theologically in 3rd grade... but I don't know him..so I can't be sure.

As a Catholic, I do find it STRANGE that many Protestants regard the bible as the "word of God" and follow it as the sole source of authority (Sola Scriptura) and yet pay the organization which assembled it and preserved it from major change, no heed at all.

They want to USE the product of Magestrial authority, but in no way acknowledge the legitimacy of the magestrium.

While I don't think that this means they are 3rd graders and the Catholic church is Stephen Hawking... I DO find it a tad odd in how they manage to separate the two.

I know many claim that the Church was corrupted at some point.. but most can't pinpoint WHEN exactly that happened, the year when things changed or beliefs were compromised Regardless.. the Protestant faiths didn't just reset the clock to just before the Church apparently went wrong..but changed all sorts of things and went well beyond simply correcting the corruption of the church.

Also, I have issues with the subjective "personal interpretation" that the ideals of Protestantism lends itself to. It creates a sort of subjectiveness to the bible which is easily used by non-believers to justify their own non-belief. Ever try to argue with an Atheist who is dead set that the bible teaches X,Y,Z? You can't..because using Protestant ideals.. they have read and interpreted the bible themselves and to THEM,.. this is what it truly says and no one else has the authority to say they are absolutely wrong. At best.. a difference of opinion.

This is one of my many issues with Protestantism.

Ironically.. my wife is Baptist, but her church is actually, pretty close to Catholicism.. the Pastor's in-laws are all Catholics and he has respect for the faith.

Source(s): . Catholic, Wife is Baptist

Not that we are better educated or more intelligent. But as Catholic Christians we do know our faith and our bible. I dont like being told by non Catholic Christians that I do something that I know for a fact I do not do. Example saying I worship and pray to the Blessed Virgin. I do not worship or pray to the Blessed Virgin. As Catholic Christians we have to educate ourselves against things like that. That is why we know our bible and we know our faith. And yes the Catholic Church did codifie the bible

Catholic Christian †

I kind of agree with it. The Catholics wrote the first volume. It was hundreds of years before the Protestants launched their religion and came up with volume 2. So I'd say the Catholics have a head start on it.

Source(s): atheist
  • Hayley

Yes, I agree. I take "us" to mean the Catholic Church as a whole, not that every individual Catholic is "somehow better educated/informed as to the Bible than Protestants".

(Thank you for your support. I have noticed, and I do appreciate it.)

Trying to figure what your problem is with that statement. I mean, I'm glad it cracked you up, But I'm not even Catholic and that's pretty much bang on.

When was the reformation, 1500s sometime? So that gives the Catholics nearly 1500 years of lead time with their own book. Makes perfect sense to me. So when some fly by night fundie thinks he or she knows the book better, I somehow doubt it.

As a Roman Catholic of fifty 5+ years now, i'm able to refer you to the Apostle's Creed, and you will discover precisely what i think, to a pair quantity. sign up contained in the RCIA instructions and you will study greater. merely on account which you connect those instructions does no longer mean you need to grow to be a Roman Catholic, yet you will definitely study greater, lots greater effective than i'm able to define here. you sense of the Roman Catholic Church being the right one is remarkable. i will in the present day handle why we pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Saints. we elect to have people praying for us, merely as you ask us to do here. We parent the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Saints have distinctive greater effective "pull" with Jesus, so we elect to make our pleas to Him somewhat (or LOT) greater emphatic or "influential" whilst we get the Blessed Virgin Mary and the Saints praying for us besides. You maximum truthfully have my prayers on your conversion to Roman Catholicism!! God Bless you mostly!! And "ditto" here on how "David" represents somebody else, yet no longer Jesus our Christ. And that "My canines do in comparison to liberals" is merely as undesirable from the sounds of it, as is "johnno". carry on with Christ and His Church, the Roman Catholic Church, and that i will pray maximum heartedly on your vocation to grow to be a clergyman or Monk. that must be so impressive. back, God Be With you mostly!!