dhise30 asked in SportsMartial Arts · 10 years ago

pound for pound best mma fighters in the world?

ok my list goes

1. fedor [31-1] (heavyweight) STRIKEFORCE

2. jake shields [25-4-1] (middleweight) STRIKEFORCE

3. nick diaz [23-7] (welterweight) STRIKEFORCE

4. mauricio rua [19-4] (light heavyweight) UFC

5. anderson silva [26-4] (middleweight) UFC

6. gilbert melendez [18-2] (lightweight) STRIKEFORCE

7. jose aldo [17-1] (featherweight) WEC

8. brock lesnar [4-1] (heavyweight) UFC

9. bj penn [15-6] (lightweight) UFC

10. lyoto machida [16-1] (light heavyweight) UFC

ok the reason why gsp isnt on my list is because he does not finish fights against "contenders" and he just takes people down for a wrestling match and wins bum decisions

and rashad evans does the same thing so he is not up there either

now i want your thoughts on my list and how your pound for pound list goes :)

Update:

hmm my logic against gsp doesnt work? HE LAYS ON PEOPLE TO RIDE OUT A DECISION WIN because he is a huge ww and he is a wrestler just like punk *** rashad does at lhw when he is actually a hw and they train together go figure and dont downplay diaz's skills until you actually watch him fight he is a bjj black belt and pro boxer that would beat up gsp with his reach and finish him on the ground

Update 2:

shields would beat silva and gsp even if it did goto decision

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Taz
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

well look at jake shields he layed on hendo for five rounds in the full mount name one other fighter who would have someone full mounted for twenty five min and not finish. it doesnt matter how much you may not like wrestlers it is a stategy. the best fighters in the world fight their fight if you get sucked in to standing with a striker and your not a striker your going to lose.

gsp

a silva

nick diaz

shane carwin

cain v

bj penn

john finch

jr dos santos

belfort

shogun

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

BJ Penn and Brock Lesnar most of all made the list, but GSP didn't? Are you serious?

Btw Shane Carwin is better than Brock Lesnar in my opinion.

My list would look a little something like this:

1. Fedor Emelianenko

2. GSP

3. Anderson Silva

4. Marciaro Rua

5. Jake Shields

6. Frankie Edgar

7. Lyoto Machida

8. Matt Hughes - I think he deserves a spot

9. Jose Aldo

10. Gilbert Melendez

• 10 years ago

Your list is a joke jake shield at #2 but GSp is not on it? GSP tries to Finnish but his attempts arent always successful i remember him geting very close to finishing hardy twice in their fight. Did Shields finish Henderson? Did he Finish Miller? GSP is not a lay N prey fighter he looks for the finish. The fact of the matter is if anyone was better then GSP then they could stop his takedowns. But no one can. GSP can make every single person he fights play his game. And no one can make GSP play their game At no point was Hardey, alves, Penn Serra(2nd fight) , Hughes or koscheck winnging when they fought him never did they bet comfortable and never did they get the chance to implament their game plan a good fair and balanced list looks like this

1-GSP

2-Fedor

3 Anderson Silva

4 Jose Aldo

5 Shogun

6 Jake Shields

7 Frank edger

8 BJ Penn

9 Jon Fitch

10 Nick Diaz

EDIT @Machida9 Maybe you should check your facts on Nick Diaz He acually has a 5-4 record in the UFC

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

This is in no order.

Current:

1) Fedor Emelianenko

2) Jose Aldo

3) Anderson Silva

4) Shogun Rua

5) Quinton Jackson

6) BJ Penn

7) GSP

8) Shane Carwin

9) Cain Velasquez

10) Junior Dos Santos

ALL TIME again no order

1) Fedor Emelianenko

2) Bas Rutten

3) Chuck Liddell

4) Quinton Jackson

5) Wanderlei Silva

6) Mirko Filipovic

7) Jose Aldo

8) Shogun Rua

9) Royce Gracie

10) Anderson Silva

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Holy hell dude are u a strikeforce employee?

Ur rankings are all messed up. Fedor is the only one in the right position here. Shields hasnt fought anyone noteworthy yet and diaz has the same amount of losses as 6 guys combined on that list. Diaz shouldnt even be neer the top ten let alone #3. Same with melendez he hasnt fought anyone good yet so he way overated here.

1. fedor

2. Silva

3. GSP

4. Aldo

5. Rua

6. Shields

7. evans

8. penn

9. Machida

10. Cruz

• ig4mer
    Lv 5
    10 years ago

I have:

Anderson Silva

Fedor

GSP

Jose Aldo

Shane Carwin

Brock Lesnar

Shogun Rua

Lyoto Machida

BJ Penn

Jake Shields

Runner up- Jon Fitch

All in all I say the UFC Light Heavyweight and Heavyweight division is stacked. Here is how I ranked the UFC division. http://bit.ly/9kkzgo

BTW does Jake Shields your #2 guy do the same tactics as GSP. Lay and pray?

Source(s): Huge MMA Fan
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

1] Jose Aldo

2] Fedor Emelianenko

3] Mauricio Rua

4] Georges St. Pierre

5] Anderson Silva

6] Jake Shields

7] Nike Diaz

8] Gegard Mousasi

9] BJ Penn

10] ME!

I fell you on the GSP thing he does not know how to end a fight..but hay..he beat peen...

I think almost ever fighter on my list and your list or who evers list could be scrutinized

the reason why i put Aldo on number one is because he has lowest amount of questions

Fedor Emelianenko is not in the ufc he does not fight top class Georges St. Pierre just lays on people Anderson Silva is not as good as we thought he was Mauricio Rua maybe but he still has some hard loses on his record Jake Shields not in the ufc and likes to lay on people 2 Nike Diaz not in the ufc not faceing top class and Gegard Mousasi and BJ Penn...come on know after their last fights

Jose Aldo is almost undefeated and has destroyed every one in his division and as a plus he is facing the best in his calls in mma ..so yeah...and i just rock =]

• Dawn
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Maybe Fedor but I will put that aside. I don't give a f about his loss either. Any way Gsp, becuase he is a Quality striker, an impressive bjj guy and an outstanding wrestler. Anderson Silva pisses everyone off but he is a great striker. Gsp would 100% beat him with wrestling if they were the same weight and I say 90% anyway.

• 10 years ago

The ability to finish a fight in a spectacular knockout/submission fashion doesn't change the fact that they win, so your logic against GSP doesn't really work.

Edit: I only assumed your pound for pound list was based on current success (i.e. win loss ratio) in the ring - apparently you give out points based on entertainment value. Ranking gets evaluated on ability to win, not how fun it is to get there.

• 10 years ago

nick diaz among the best p4p???a guy who lost(in ufc)every fight

1 fedor

2 Shogun

3 Machida

4 A.silva

5 GSP

6 junior do santos

7 bj penn

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.