Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCell Phones & Plans · 1 decade ago

Why so many sites ask for a cell phone number to gain access.?

Looking for recipes and such and I don't have a cell phone so I can't gain access. There should be another option.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Laredo
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

When you post your cell phone number to access a site, they add a "fee" to your cell phone bill every month. I mistakenly fell for that trick and was billed $9.95 access fee the first month and then they started sending lots of text messages (advertisements) and billed me 33 cents for each one. Every time I sent a text back requesting them to stop, I was billed another 33 cents and they wouldn't stop. I called my cell phone provider to lodge a complaint and was told they couldn't do anything about it because the sender was their client and billed through their cell phone billing system.

Verizon had already blocked the billing company's phone number and they just started using another one. Finally I marched into Verizon's office and told them to program my phone so I wouldn't be billed for SPAM texts. They said they couldn't and I said, "Remove the text card and block ALL text messaging from my phone." All I have is phone calling but at least I'm not receiving high cell phone bills for text messages from scammers who bill through my phone company.

• 1 decade ago

Yup, I've got 1 of those and it's good. read over the guides on links third and sixth here; http://www.cellphone-plans-guide.cc.c/

Hope you found this as helpful as I did

• 1 decade ago

My best guess is that they want to contact you when something goes wrong. Maybe they want to know who you are if you've been spamming or you did something illegal so that they can get the fuzz to arrest you.

• motox
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

google......

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.