Good carrot cake recipe from a blog?

I generally trust most foodie-blogs more than I trust random recipes. I'm looking for one that will hopefully have an awesome buttercream frosting to go with it as well!

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago
    Best Answer

I collect Carrot Cake recipes (and make them). Here are some favorites:

Carrot Cake & Cream Cheese Frosting

It takes a little preparation, but you will find the procedure is not difficult, & it is *totally* worth the effort!

2 cups self-rising flour

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups sugar

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil (I used peanut oil)

4 whole eggs

2 cups finely grated raw carrots

8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut

Stir 2 cups flour, 2 cups sugar, & 2 teaspoons cinnamon together. Add 1 1/2 cup vegetable oil & 4 eggs. Mix well. Add 2 cups finely grated carrots, 8 ounce crushed pineapple (drained), 1/2 cup pecans, & 1/2 cup coconut. Blend thoroughly. Pour this mixture into 3 prepared 9-inch cake pans. (To prepare the pans, spread butter on the bottom & sides, then place a circle of waxed paper on the bottom. Spread more butter on top of the waxed paper & sprinkle with a small amount of flour.

Shake the pan from side to side, coating the bottom & sides with a light dusting of flour. Pour off any excess flour.) Bake the cake mixture for 30 to 35 minutes in an oven that has been preheated to 350 degrees. Watch carefully to make sure the cake does not burn. To test for doneness, insert a toothpick in the center of the cake, and, if it comes out clean, the cake is done. Cool.

Frost with Cream Cheese Frosting (below). When frosting the cake, remove one cake layer at a time from its pan. Place the most even layer on the bottom of your cake plate. Spread with a generous amount of Cream Cheese Frosting. Place another layer on top, remembering whether there is a thicker & thinner side to the layer. Frost the top of the second layer. Put the third layer on, swiveling to adjust for any unevenness in the placement of the previous layers.

Now, frost around the sides completely & cover the top completely. If desired, decorate with swirls, or with chopped pecans on top, or around the sides. Place in the refrigerator immediately to cool & set up.

This cake will keep (covered with plastic wrap) in your refrigerator for two weeks. To keep the plastic wrap from touching the cake, make a tent by inserting four toothpicks on top to form a large square for the plastic to rest on.

Cream Cheese Frosting:

12 ounce cream cheese, softened to room temperature

1 1/2 stick butter, softened to room temperature

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 pounds confectioner's sugar

Combine cream cheese, butter, & vanilla. Gradually add 1 1/2 pounds of confectioner's sugar, & beat well. If the mixture is too thick, add a small amount of milk. If too thin, add more confectioner's sugar.

My family loves this cake, & I love making it! It never fails, & it gets better after sitting in the refrigerator! It has a few tricks that you need to know, but I think I covered everything that was critical in the 10 minutes I had! Enjoy! & have a wonderful day!!!

===========================

Carrot Cake

Carrot cake is my passion. If I were stranded on a desert Island & could only have one food it would be carrot cake...There is healthy in there somewhere :) So..I have made dozens & dozens of carrot cakes & this one is the winner. I keep the recipe in my book & have copies for when people ask - & they do.

1 pound grated carrots - Grate 1/2 course & 1/2 fine

4 extra large eggs, at room temperature

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/4 cup cooking oil

1 cup sour cream

2/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons pure vanilla

2 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

1 1/4 cups very finely minced toasted walnuts or pecans

1 cup raisins (or cherries)

Mix it all together & use 3 8″ cake pans with parchment & oil. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 35 to 45 minutes. Cake is done when toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cake to cool & spread with frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

12 ounces cream cheese, softened

1/2 cup Mascarpone ( this gives the icing a fluffier lighter texture & melt in your mouth smoothness)

2 teaspoons pure vanilla

1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (optional)

2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar

Mix all ingredients together don't eat it all it's for the cake!

====================

Carrot Cake

For the Cake:

2 cups self-rising flour

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

2 cups white sugar

1 1/2 cups vegetable oil

4 eggs

3 cups grated carrots

1/2 cups golden raisins

1/2 cups chopped pitted dates

1/4 cup currants

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

1 [8 ounce] package cream cheese

1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened

1 pound confectioners' sugar

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease two 9 inch round cake pans. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cinnamon & sugar. Add the oil & eggs, mix until blended, then stir in the carrots, raisins, dates, & currants. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven. A toothpick inserted into the cake should come out clean. Cool cakes on wire racks before removing from pans.

To make the frosting, use the second set of ingredients. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter & cream cheese, add the sugar & cream well. Stir in the vanilla. Use to fill & frost the cooled cake layers.

• 10 years ago

Moist Carrot Cake Recipe

This moist carrot cake recipe is ideal as a teatime treat or a lunch box filler.

# Easy

# Preparation time: 15 minutes

# Cooking time: 45 - 50 minutes

Ingredients:

# 2 cups grated carrots

# ½ cup crushed pineapple, well drained - reserve juice

# ½ cup raisins

# ½ cup chopped pecan nuts

# 2 cups sugar

# 4 eggs

# 1 cup oil

# ½ cup pineapple juice (from drained pineapple)

# 2 cups cake flour

# 2 teaspoons baking powder

# 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

Icing:

# 4oz / 125g butter

# 4oz / 125g smooth cream cheese

# 1lb / 450g icing (confectioners) sugar

# 1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method:

1. Prepare a 9inch / 23cm cake tin or loaf tin. Line it with baking paper and then grease with butter or spray with cooking spray.

2. Preheat the oven to 350° F / 180° C.

3. In a large bowl, mix together the grated carrots, crushed pineapple, raisins and pecan nuts.

4. Using a blender, beat the eggs. Gradually add the sugar until the mixture is pale and thick.

5. Add the oil and pineapple juice.

6. Sift together the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Fold into the cake batter.

7. Pour the batter onto the carrot mixture. Using a large spoon, fold the carrot mixture into the batter. Mix well but don't over beat.

8. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out just clean.

9. Gently turn onto a wire rack and cool.

10. Beat together the icing ingredients. When the cake is completely cold, spread the icing over the top.

• 4 years ago

Gluten Free cake recipe Ingredients 1 1/2 cups white rice flour 3/4 cup tapioca flour 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon baking soda 3 teaspoons baking powder 1 teaspoon xanthan gum 4 eggs 1 1/4 cups white sugar 2/3 cup mayonnaise 1 cup milk 2 teaspoons gluten-free vanilla extract Directions 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and rice flour two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. 2. Mix the white rice flour, tapioca flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and xanthan gum together and set aside. 3. Mix the eggs, sugar, and mayonnaise until fluffy. Add the flour mixture, milk and vanilla and mix well. Spread batter into the prepared pans. 4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 minutes. Cakes are done when they spring back when lightly touched or when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Let cool completely then frost, if desired.

• 10 years ago

Carrot Cake Recipe:

1 cup (100 grams) pecans or walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped

3/4 pound (340 grams) raw carrots (about 2 1/2 cups finely grated)

2 cups (260 grams) all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

4 large eggs

1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated white sugar

1 cup (240 ml) safflower, vegetable or canola oil

2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Note: For a moister carrot cake, add 1/2 cup of crushed pineapple (well drained) or applesauce to the batter when you add the oil and vanilla extract. You may have to bake the cake a few minutes longer.

Note: This cake can be baked in a 9 x 13 x 2 inch (23 x 33 x 5 cm) pan. Just increase the baking time to between 30 to 40 minutes

Cream Cheese Frosting:

1/4 cup (57 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature

8 ounces (227 grams) cream cheese, room temperature

2 cups (230 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract

finely grated lemon zest of one lemon

Garnish: (Optional)

1 cup (100 grams) toasted and finely chopped walnuts or pecans

Carrot Cake: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place rack in center of oven. Butter or spray two - 9 x 2 inch (23 x 5 cm) cake pans and line the bottoms of the pans with a circle of parchment paper.

Toast the pecans or walnuts for about 8 minutes or until lightly browned and fragrant. Let cool and then chop coarsely.

Peel and finely grate the carrots. Set aside.

In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and ground cinnamon. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the eggs until frothy (about 1 minute). Gradually add the sugar and beat until the batter is thick and light colored (about 3 - 4 minutes). Add the oil in a steady stream and then beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat just until incorporated. With a large rubber spatula fold in the grated carrots and chopped nuts. Evenly divide the batter between the two prepared pans and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. After about 5 -10 minutes invert the cakes onto the wire rack, remove the pans and parchment paper, and then cool completely before frosting.

To assemble: place one cake layer, top side down, onto your serving plate. Spread with about one third of the frosting. Gently place the other cake, top of cake facing down, onto the frosting, and spread the rest of the frosting over the top and sides of the cake. If desired, press toasted and finely chopped nuts on the sides of the cake and decorate the top of the cake with marzipan carrots (see below). Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.

Serves 10 - 12.

Cream Cheese Frosting: In bowl of electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), beat the cream cheese and butter, on low speed, just until blended with no lumps. Gradually add the sifted powdered sugar and beat, on low speed, until fully incorporated and smooth. Beat in the vanilla extract, and lemon zest.

Source(s): Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

I know you said about blogs BUt the bbc website has the best chefs and one of the contributors is James Martin.One of the best pastry chefs in the UK

Source(s): www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4425/carrot-cake
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.