Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 decade ago

Does anyone know any gothic, vampire, werewolves books?

I have already read:

Twilight, Patricia Briggs, Chloe Neill, Katie Maxwell, Michelle Rowen, Keri Arthur, Night Huntress, Kerrelyn Sparks, Immortality Bites, Caitlin Kittredge, P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast, Queen Betsy, Darkborn, Dark Ones, Night World, Richelle Mead, Lynsay Sands, Kim Harrison, True Blood, Alyson Noel, Nina Bangs.

Favorite Answer

Gosh. you've come a long way. I didn't see Jim Butcher's Dresden Files on your list. Try them. Hardboiled detective stories with EVERYTHING you listed.

If you are that far into it I suggest you read H. P. Lovecraft's essay Supernatural Horror in Literature for a historical perspective. Also follow some of his recommendations. Algernon Blackwood and Arthur Machen are great, period. Dover books has it as a standalone volume and it's in the Arkham House collection Dagon and other stories.

Recent books I might recommend are:

Chelsea Quinn Yarbro has been a reliable SF/Fantasy/Gothic writer since the 1960's. She's of a generation of women like Kate Wilhelm who just do whatever they do impossibly well. Her St. Germaine books, starting with Hotel Transylvania around 1976 are among the best gothic Vampire books I've read. A few are less good than others but she is a favorite writer of mine for a good reason.

Fred Saberhagen who recently died wrote hard core sf and fantasy and at the same time a series of novels which reimagined Dracula. His An Old Friend of the Family is a good place to start but they are all excellent.

Octavia Butler, who also recently died in a tragic fall, managed to cross genres the way her elders did, however she did not treat them as discretely as the above two. Her early Patternmaster Trilogy was about psychics some of whom were reminiscent of dybbuks,vampires and others . Her last, posthumous novel was openly about a vampire. Again, she was excellent.

Just some suggestions.

• ?

you actual might desire to do something unique. Vampires have been accomplished to undeath. So have werewolves. Vampire vs Werewolves has already been accomplished. you assert your e book won't be able to be printed. I understand that. I write fiction to not an theory of having printed, yet just to amuse myself. some human beings assemble stamps. My interest is writing fiction. midway by using "Queen of the Damned (by using Anne Rice) I positioned it down and reported, "i'm ill to dying of those characters." and that i've got not touched an Anne Rice e book for the reason that. Please positioned your skills into looking a clean theory. the first public decides whilst you're "extremely a experienced author." i could think of that a experienced author could attempt to discover an unique theory and not requesting one in this cyber web-website.

The Chronicles of Vladimir Tod? Its a great vampire book!

• John

Carmilla is a good vampire novella

You haven't read Bram Stoker's Dracula? :|

Seriously? I hope you accidentally left that one out.

try the Library or Amazon.com

Source(s): Camille I used to love the romance novels. Now I love Jesus more.