Was Mein Kampf Hitler's autobiography?

was it his autobiography, or was it just about his feelings {ect}

thanks everyone :)

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Was it his autobiography? Yes and no. It was a pseudo spiritual-political treatise. Hitler did not write Mein Kampf as an autobiography but his life was so mixed with politics, he had to make it partly autobiographical. When Hitler was in prison, where he dictated the book to his secretary, he was struggling to maintain control over a radical political party. He was not the strong leader anymore and his position in the party was unclear. He wrote the book to show he was as extreme and strong as possible so he could maintain control. He wrote to the average man who was a party member. The book was never intended for the general public and Hitler later regretted revealing as much as he did. It does include many autobiographical references like his early life and his reflections on his schooling. Some of his'recollections' do not match the facts. Check out the audio book, Dissecting The Hitler Mind, it reveals several contradictions between the facts and Hitler's accounts.

Mein Kampf is an excellent book, however, and I recommend it. It is not the anti-semetic diatribe that most people assume it is. There are certainly anti-semitic elements, but it is about much more including people, politics, world events, and much of what Hitler touches on is happening even today. After reading Mein Kampf, I find myself frequently thinking about somethign Hitler said when a world news report is on TV.

There are various English translations, you should read it for yourself. I recommend the Ford translation because it is the most accurate and easiest to read. Manheim is a poor translation and is hard to read, Murphy is an abbreviated translation. The Ford translation is also available in an audio book which is good because the book is quite long, around 600 pages, so it is easier to listen to it while driving to work than sit down and read it. Both are available on amazon, any book store and from the publisher at HitlerLibrary.org They also have some free information on Mein Kampf and analysis texts for download there too.

Pick up a copy and find out what it was about.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

"My Fight"

Mein Kampf was Hitler's autobiography, but he used it to spread ludicrous ideas and propaganda that he then used to fuel wartime hatred against Jews.

• 10 years ago

It was a political polemic disguised as a biography.

From 'The Third Reich: A New History' by Michael Burleigh: "Conditions were hardly onerous within the Landsberg prison, as Hitler effectively held court there. To abate his constant and voluble expression of opinions, his companion’s asked him to write a book. Unfortunately for them, he dictated the first part of Mein Kampf, his mythopoeia *** political philosophy, although that term affords this poisonous and turgid concoction a coherence it lacks. He constructed a new narrative of his political 'awakening', pushing back to his time in pre-war Vienna stances which he adopted only when he returned to Munich after the war. It is unclear what Hitler read in the way of sources. He had dabbled in the literatures of anti-Semitism, eugenics and geo-politics, although it is unknown whether this was directly or in the form of degenerated copies. Despite considerable editorial input, the book was execrably written and punctuated with mad outbursts...Autodidactic in-discipline and experience, real or imagined, created a totally inflexible worldview, in which new facts were slotted into a rigid framework. Hitler claimed that his worldview was the result of blinding revelations, of 'real' or 'higher' truths, all increasingly impervious to counter-argument or reason. As Hannah Arendt remarked: 'Ideological thinking becomes emancipated from the reality that we perceive with our five senses, and insists on a 'truer' reality concealed behind all perceptible things, dominating them from this place of concealment and requiring a sixth sense that enables us to become aware of it.' In Hitler's case, notions of biological determinism fused with an apocalyptic, conspiratorial and paranoid view of the world. He combined being the worst sort of reductionist scientific bore, forever citing cats and rats, with being a saloon-bar conspiracy theorist, forever banging on about Jews. Normally such people go quietly crazy amid genteel dilapidation, like hippies gone to seed in seaside towns. Unfortunately for humanity as a whole, this one did not."

William L. Shirer, from 'The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: "The first volume was published in the autumn of 1925. A work of some 400 pages, it was priced at 12 marks ( 3 dollars), about twice the price of most books brought out in Germany at that time. It did not by any means become an immediate best-seller...In his first year in office (1933) Mein Kampf sold a million copies, and Hitler's income from the royalties...was over one million marks (some $300,000), making him the most prosperous author in Germany and for the first time a millionaire. Except for the Bible, no other book sold so well during the Nazi regime, when few family households felt secure without a copy on the table...Not every German who bought a copy of Mein Kampf necessarily read it...But it might be argued that had more non-Germans read it before 1933 and had the foreign statesmen of the wold perused it carefully while there was still time, both Germany and the world might have been saved from catastrophe. For whatever other accusations can be made against Adolf Hitler, no one can accuse him of not putting down in writing exactly the kind of Germany he intended to make if he ever came to power and the kind of world he meant to create by armed German conquest. The blueprint of the Third Reich and, what is more, of the barbaric New Order which Hitler inflicted on conquered Europe in the triumphant years between 1939 and 1945 is set down in all its appalling crudity at great length and in detail between the covers of this revealing book."

Nuremberg Testimony 4-30-46, Hjalmer Schacht: "As far as the book, Mein Kampf, is concerned, my judgment has always been the same from the very beginning as it is today. It is a book written in the worst kind of German, propaganda of a man who was strongly interested in politics, not to say a fanatical, half educated man, which to me Hitler has always been. In the book Mein Kampf and in part also in the Party program there was one point which worried me a great deal, and that was the absolute lack of understanding for all economic problems. The Party program contained a few slogans, such as "Community interests come before private interests," and so on, and then the "breaking up of subjection to financial interests" and similar phrases which could not possibly signify anything sensible. The same held true for Mein Kampf, which is of no interest from the point of view of economic policy and consequently had no interest for me. On the other hand, as regards foreign policy Mein Kampf contained, in my opinion, a great many mistakes, because it always toyed with the idea that within the continent of Europe the living space for Germany ought to be extended."

Note: Hitler's original title was "Four and a Half Years of Struggle against Lies, Stupidity and Cowardice" but his publisher shortened it to Mein Kampf (My Struggle).

Source(s): Much more here: http://wallyrus.tripod.com/mkindex.html Below is a Yahoo! Group of experts able to answer all such questions with authority: Yahoo! Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/3rdReichStudies/join All are welcome!
  • 10 years ago

"my struggle"

was a combination of his autobiography and his political ideology. He started it during his time in prison.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It is considered a manifesto, a declaration of principles or beliefs.

• 10 years ago

yeah and it showed his evil plans for the future but none botherd to read it well thats what i no off my history teacher

• 10 years ago

it was just about his feelings, (grumbling: that nut case)

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.