2 stroke or 4 stroke?

what is better a 2 stroke dirtbike or a 4 stroke dirtbike.?

• Banger
    Best Answer

Four-stroke. It makes its power lower in the rev range, so you're not having to keep that engine wound up tight to climb hills, get over obstacles, etc. I can't imagine trying to delicately get over a fallen log on the trail with a high-strung two-stroke engine unless I slipped the clutch a lot-- which is bad for clutches, of course.

Also, like others have said, the noise and air pollution are substantially less.

Another thing worth considering is how much smoother a four-stroke engine typically runs compared to a two-stroke. This affects both your riding endurance (important if you're going to do a lot of all-day riding scenarios) and, to some extent, the engine's endurance.

Finally, the final convenience of a four-stroke that I wouldn't give up: No mixing oil and gas and keeping a supply on-hand in big gas jugs (older bikes) or no buying special two-stroke formulated oil to put in the oil tank (newer bikes with self-injection). You do your oil changes as recommended in the factory manual, and you can get gas and oil pretty much anywhere. Most automotive parts stores (not to mention Walmart) will carry four-stroke motorcycle oil, which is designed to be kind to a bike's "wet clutch" system, but many do NOT carry sufficient quantities of two-stroke oil for motorcycle use-- they instead carry small bottles of two-stroke oil intended for users of small two-stroke engines like chainsaws and weed trimmers.

Source(s): Four-stroke motorcycle rider.

4 Strokes make good power @ lower RPMs than a 2 stroke. For that reason alone I prefer them.

They're also cleaner to the air.

BUT, a 4 stroke is harder to start once it's fallen to the ground. Takes a lot more kicking. Not a big deal, most have compression releases nowdays that make this easier.

I've seen how some riding areas are thinking about not allowing 2 strokes due to the noise and air quality, so that's something to consider...

It would depend on the type of riding that you do. 2-stroke it a much faster more powerful bike that would be better for racing. A 4-stroke is a very durable and reliable bike that is not as quick/fast as a 2-stroke.

Source(s): Riding dirt bikes for 30+ years....

2 stroke

Source(s): own kx 125 and kx 250

4 stroke... you'll need a powerhouse bike(50+ hp) to ride with the big boys. You don't want to be looking like a sally out there lol. Plus, the sound of 2 strokes is just annoying as hell and makes me want to punch a baby.

Trust me... I'm a doctor

Personally, I prefer a 4 stroke simply because the engine will last longer. And also sounds a lot better.

Source(s): Myself

depends on the riding......trails...2stroke-they dont over heat,lighter and they start easier when layed down!!!

moto track....4stroke-if your gonna race then ull need a 4stroke to keep up with the best racers!!! 2strokes wont do it anymore the 4strokes r 2 advanced....but if ur jus gonna ride track every once and a while then a 2stroke will do