promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why is it that the closed-captioned law or ADA does not apply to the Internet service providers?

It make no sense that the deaf and hearing impaired are denied access to be fully participant when viewing videos or others audiotapes, etc. We are being denied full used of resources etc. simply because we are deaf. This type of discrimination is totally pathetic and downright wrong. There is no reason for this lack of communication to be delayed because others are not concern about the rights of the deaf and hearing impaired. This situation need to be remedied now, not later.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

look, more power to the Deaf community i am all for advocating for them but you also have to understand that the law sometimes isnt fair and sometimes doesnt 100% accommodating everyone.. and the law specifies on WHO is responsible for providing closed captioning, none of which mention the internet. no one is denying you access....its just a hardship you have to overcome. just like the others you face. i understand your frustration. as i know that the ADA does not 100% accommodate people like me (handicapped physically) but ive learned to overcome those obstacles and so can you. its not fair but thats life.

Who is required to provide closed captions under the new rules?

The rules require people or companies that distribute television programs directly to

home viewers ("video program distributors") to make sure that those programs are

captioned. Video program distributors include local broadcast television stations,

satellite television services (such as DirecTV and the Dish Network), local cable

television operators, and other companies that distribute video programming directly

to the home. In some situations, video program providers will be responsible for

captioning programs. A video program provider could be a television program

network (for example, ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, UPN, WB, A&E, Lifetime and USA

Network) or other companies that makes a particular television program.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

For the same reason Amazon doesn't have to pay sales taxes. Technology companies are good at exploiting loopholes in the law.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.