? asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 1 decade ago

Help with "Finis Laborum," Latin Passage?

I am having trouble translating the first sentence. Below, I have the Latin, and underneath that I have my attempt at English. Will you help? Thanks!!

Ulixēs, rēx fortis Ithacae, ad portās oppidī quod rēxerat stābat, ā multīs cīvibus vīsus, sed nōn cognitus, quod vestēs sordidās gerēbat.

Ulysees, the king of strong Ithica, to/toward/for/near carried of the town because he ruled firmly , (away) from/by he saw many citizens, but none recognized him, because his clothes were dirty.

• Mike H
    Favorite Answer

There are a few problems. I'll translate and explain why I did things differently.

Ulysses, the mighty king of Ithaca (fortis could technically modify both, but I think "mighty king" a little bit better than "mighty Ithaca," and the adjective follows the noun more commonly than it precedes it), was standing (stabat is the imperfect of sto, stare, to standing) near the gates (portas could be "to carry," but it would be in the second person singular which makes no sense; porta, portae means gate), of the town which (quod can mean because, but here it is the neuter singular relative pronoun) he had ruled (regno, regnare - to rule, pluperfect (past perfect) third person singular; the verb in the relative clause set off by "quod"), seen (visus is the perfect passive participle of video, videre, so it means "he was seen" rather than "he saw") by many citizens (a indicates that this is the agent of the passive verb participle visus), but not known (literally, but none recognized him is correct in spirit), because he was wearing dirty clothes (again literally, but because his clothes were dirty captures the spirit).

Cheers.