Parents, what would you do if one of your 8yr old daughter's friends slaps her quite hard across the face ...?

... in a fit of anger, then shakes your daughter violently and holds her back so she cannot go tell someone? When the other mom finds out she plays it down and laughs it off, sending her daughter (11yrs old) back out to play? All reports from the other kids who witnessed it say that the older girl "lost... show more ... in a fit of anger, then shakes your daughter violently and holds her back so she cannot go tell someone? When the other mom finds out she plays it down and laughs it off, sending her daughter (11yrs old) back out to play?

All reports from the other kids who witnessed it say that the older girl "lost it" when she got embarrassed in front of my 12yr old son (a very crush-worthy strapping, blond/blue-eyed lad) then turned and took it out on my daughter. Is this normal? Have you had this experience?

The slap was hard enough to leave a stinging red mark - I've called the mom and she has yet to return my call. They are so busy remodeling their kitchen, you see.

I am quite upset and want your opinions, here. This is a new one for me.

Thank you, in advance.
Update: ****I had no interest in making a police report, but I understand that many would be ready to - it's a sign of the times, I guess. I'm in favor of kids working these things out on their own, and if needing guidance, we should be there for them. More upsetting to me was the fact that her mother wouldn't... show more ****I had no interest in making a police report, but I understand that many would be ready to - it's a sign of the times, I guess. I'm in favor of kids working these things out on their own, and if needing guidance, we should be there for them. More upsetting to me was the fact that her mother wouldn't call to talk, and instead, had her new and very dominant husband (not the father) call me the next evening. Eventually, I got to say my piece, and things should be cool from now on. I hope so - or it's going to be a very long summer.