Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 10 years ago

How do I keep my children's plastic pool clean?

It's a rather large plastic pool(with a slide too!), so I can't really lift it up every few days and clean it out. Is there some mixture of water and bleach that I could put in there that will keep the gunk out but the kids safe? The pool is probably 6x6 foot round and about 1 foot deep.

Thanks!

Best Answer

You will need to buy a water testing kit, read all the instructions before using, and any pool chemicals that you may need. Never add chemicals to any pool when there are people in the pool and always allow plenty of time between chemical dosing and swimming. Too many chemicals can cause skin and eye irritation.

Know Your Kiddie Pool Size - Knowing the size of your kiddie pool is very important when it comes to adding chemicals to the water. Since a kiddie pool only holds up to approximately 4,000 gallons you will only need a fraction of the chemicals needed for bigger swimming pools. Always know how much water your kiddie pool has in it before adding any chemicals.

A Pool Cleaning Kit - Lastly, I suggest that you invest in a simple pool cleaning kits. A cleaning net can be so very useful when trying to keep a kiddie pool clean. You'll be able to scoop out any debris that has entered into the pool much easier than without a net. If you have a small pool vacuum you will be able to vacuum up anything that has settled onto the bottom of the pool.

Skim the leaves and dead bugs out of your pool on a regular basis. You can use a pool net for this purpose, or even purchase an inexpensive butterfly-type net. Enlist your kids as pool skimmers and get a special net for each of them. With luck, they may even come to think of this as another fun game to play in the pool.

Look for a cover that will fit your pool. If you have a round pool that is 8, 10 or even 12 feet in diameter, you can use the same types of covers that are sold to fit the "quick set" type of portable pools. You can also purchase covers that will fit rectangular kiddie pools.

"Shock" your pool with a chlorine treatment. You can purchase this from a pool supply store, but the cheapest, easiest way is to use good old chlorine bleach. The correct amount to use comes out to about 1/4 tsp. of bleach for every 10 gallons of water, so if you have one of the larger-sized pools this comes out to 2 1/2 tsp. for every 100 gallons of water.

Drain your pool periodically despite using the above methods. This will get rid of all of the leaf and bug debris, dead skin cells and any other "accidents" that may have happened in the pool. If you have an exceptionally large pool, you may find that the easiest way to drain the water out is to deflate the pool, and this will make it easier for you to move it to a different location in your yard as well, should you choose to do so.

• bennet

Kids Plastic Pool

I wouldn't use any swimming pool chemicals to treat the water. Pool chemicals are made for filtering pools, if there is no filtration the chemicals will cause more harm than good. Bleach would be a good alternative but you should still watch how you use it, ratio wise. Basically I know it's a pain in the butt, but I would just empty it all, or a better part of the old water and add fresh. Unless you can some how set up a drain on it. Depending on how thick the sides are I sure something can be rigged up.

Source(s): C-Maw's Pools & Spas

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

It's a rather large plastic pool(with a slide too!), so I can't really lift it up every few days and clean it out. Is there some mixture of water and bleach that I could put in there that will keep the gunk out but the kids safe? The pool is probably 6x6 foot round and about 1 foot...

Source(s): children 39 plastic pool clean: https://biturl.im/yWdHY
  • zella

Plastic Kids Pool

Some regular household bleach won't hurt. I would use about a cup full (maybe a little less). Do you have an extra mesh strainer somewhere in the kitchen? That can be used to filter out bugs/leaves/gunk.

I would, however, recommend emptying and refilling the pool at least once every 2 or 3 days. If you can't lift it, scoop the water out with a bucket until you can lift it. If anything, scoop out some of the water and fill the rest up with fresh water.

Also, if you have a plastic bin, fill it with water and set it next to the pool. That way if little ones are getting in and out of the pool they can wash their feet off before getting back in.

no. when they aren't using it you need to drain it. keep it upside down so the rain won't get in it. if it's stays dry, it should stay clean.

dump out the water after each use. and clean it with soapy water and a broom, maybe a bit of bleach thrown in the mix, scrub around, rinse and let dry.