Has anyone ever heard of the Richmond Piano Co. of Richmond, IN?

I am wanting to trade some nice dining room furniture with a lady that has an old Richmond Piano Co. piano and I am wondering if this is a quality piece? I have never heard of this company, only Starr Piano out of Richmond, IN. I also cannot find much info online. Your insight to this piano company would be greatly appreciated!

• David
    Favorite Answer

Actually Richmond was established in 1878 while Starr was established in 1872, incorporated in 1893 and took control of the Richmond name in the mid 1920s. With a serial number we could date the piano for you but that has virtually no bearing on value.

Production stopped in 1949 so the piano is at least 60 years old and could be considerably older. Any piano that age would need complete restoration to be considered a "quality piece" if by that you mean having real monetary value. This would involve an investment of thousands of dollars. This is rarely worth it unless the piano has a name like Steinway or Mason & Hamlin. Sentimental value is another matter. For a Richmond piano you would likely spend more than it was worth when you finished.

You don't mention whether it is an upright or grand. Piano values vary too much depending on numerous factors including geography but in today's depressed market an old upright could sell for a few hundred dollars or nothing while a grand might be a bit more.

If your furniture is worth more than $500 (and you could actually sell it for that, which is another matter) you may want to consider having the piano inspected by a qualified piano technician. That is the only way to get an accurate idea of what you are dealing with. You can search for one at http://ptg.org/findATechnician.php

Good luck!

Source(s): Piano Technician 35 years experience

Richmond Piano

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I am wanting to trade some nice dining room furniture with a lady that has an old Richmond Piano Co. piano and I am wondering if this is a quality piece? I have never heard of this company, only Starr Piano out of Richmond, IN. I also cannot find much info online. Your insight to this piano company...

Source(s): heard richmond piano richmond in: https://shortly.im/oRU4a

The south part of Richmond is very ghetto -- be sure and stay away from the Chinese rapists down there. Those guys are really weird.