Me asked in SportsBoxing · 10 years ago

what percent of white boxers are Irish?

most boxers are black it seems like the only good white ones are Irish, anyone Know the percent..i need source for it if possible

Favorite Answer

It's really impossible to give you an exact answer because there are SO many white boxers, so you'd never be able to count all of them because on the boxing website boxrec.com, you cannot search for "white" boxers, you have to specify the country and there are white boxers in probably over 90 percent of the countries out there, so you'd never be able to determine exactly how many there are from each country.

I can tell you that boxrec currently has 32 active Irish boxers in their database and there are no current world champions from Ireland, which is why I disagree with you saying that "only the good boxers are Irish" because the majority of good white fighters come from the eastern European countries that were a part of the Soviet Union. The last Irish world champion was Bernard Dunne and he lost his title last year and has since announced his retirement.

Here are some notable current Irish boxers:

~ Andy Lee (21-1, 15 KOs)- middleweight

~ John Duddy (29-1, 18 KOs)- middleweight

~ James Moore (17-3, 10 KOs)- junior middleweight

~ Dean Byrne (12-0, 5 KOs)- junior welterweight

~ Andy Murray (19-0, 10 KOs)- lightweight

~ Patrick Hyland (19-0, 10 KOs)- featherweight

~ Willie Casey (8-0, 5 KOs)- junior featherweight

Source(s): Here is the page that lists all of the current and active Irish boxers- http://boxrec.com/ratings.php?country=IE&sex=m&div...
  • iO can;'t exactly tell you the percentage, but I can give you some names:

Gene Tunney (heavyweight champion), Andy Lee, Bernard Dunne (super bantamweight title holder), John Duddy, Terry McGovern (Bantamweight and Featherweight champion), James J. Corbett (heavyweight champion), John L. Sullivan (Heavyweight champion; Bare-knuckle heavyweight champion), Tom Sharkey, Sean O'Grady (Lightweight title holder), Freddie Roach (contender/trainer), Martin Rogan (European Heavyweight champion), Jimmy Barry (paperweight champion).

if you mean first generation irish, then not many.

however 12% of the american population have irish heritage, so possibly 12% of american boxers also have irish in them.

Dont know - but I'd sure like to see more of them

My impression is that,... you can correct me if I m wrong, .. there mighjt be many more if there was a better infrastructure in Ireland to help them get started

Source(s): IRISH Heritage