Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicOther - Music · 10 years ago

Basics of playing the piano?

I want to learn the basics of playing piano. I am deciding whether or not to actually take lessons, and maybe if I learn enough, to buy a piano of my own someday. But, I really know nothing about the piano. I just looked up all the notes, so I know where they are on my full sized keyboard. Really, just kind of. I was looking up basics on youtube, and came across right hand sight reading, with the numbers on the keys. I am assuming that someone who plays will know what I mean. I had thought that once you can learn to read sheet music, it tells you what notes to play. ( A,B,C, etc.) Are the numbers necessary? I want to start slowly, if possible. If I know where the notes are on my keyboard, do I really need to know sight reading and numbers? It seems almost to make it more difficult. Can I learn basics without this? I know this sounds kind of stupid. I don't live anywhere near a place where they offer lessons, I live rurally. I know an older lady that will teach, but I would like to learn even a little before I go over there. Also, I just talked with my mother. She did take piano way back when, but did not learn that way. But she is blind, also. Did they teach differently, or is this an alternate way of learning? I know it is obvious that I really know nothing, I just find it a beautiful instrument. Which is the easiest way?? I can play "Imagine" but it is just from memorization, I cant read notes yet. I want to be able to eventually play some of tori amos's music, or pj harvey's dear darkness. Or anything good really. Where to start??? I know I sound kind of dumb, but everyone has to start somewhere!! Advice, please?

Best Answer

I won't tell you to start with learning to read sheet music. To start on your own, I would tell you to work on playing by ear. Because you can play a song from memorization, that tells me you have a good ear. Start by sitting at the piano and teaching yourself how to play more songs. Don't start with anything complex, just take a song you want to learn (you said something by Tori Amos) and sit there and figure out the basic melody of that song on the piano. You will have an amazing amount of fun, you'll learn more quickly, and you won't burn yourself out or lose your joy of the instrument. Many people who start out by trying to read notes get frustrated and forget why they wanted to play the piano in the first place. Let whomever is teaching you the notes teach you the notes. But on your own, learn to play by ear. It's incredibly rewarding. And it will actually give you a head start on composing your own pieces, which is the most rewarding of all.

Enjoy yourself! :)

Source(s): 7 years of piano composition.

I'm guessing that the numbers you are referring to is the fingering? If so, then it is important to know for later reference. But for now you should stick with one method: either the numbers or letters (a,b,c etc.). I think I would probably learn the notes first, especially since that's what you're more familiar with. I definitely would NOT put the note names on the keyboard like some people do. It's better to take the time to memorize the notes. Start with easier songs until you get the hang of it. It's obviously better and more productive to learn from a teacher, but it is possible to learn the basics without one. There are several books you could look into getting to help you learn. I really like the Faber and Faber books, so you might consider getting those. The first book will teach you about the notes, counting, etc. and then each book will get a little more advanced. Also, when learning a new song, I find it's helpful to look up the song and listen to it (just on youtube or something usually works). It helps you to hear how it's suppose to sound, and making sure that you play it correctly. There are even some piano books that come with c.d.s for this exact purpose, though I'm not very familiar with them or how good they are. Best of luck to you, I hope this helped!

• Rachel

Piano: About 8 months Guitar: About 3 months Well.. that's what you wanted to know :P