? asked in TravelUnited StatesWashington, D.C. · 1 decade ago

what is the font type of the dc metro map?

I need to know the font type of the dc metro map.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Im from Canada eh—but I will help.

Im guessing the main metro map would be the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's map (www.wmata.com)

If so, they use Helvetica Neue on the Rail Map. Mostly all in Helvetica Neue Bold, even right down to the Metro logo itself.

On the Metro System Route Map (Bus and Rail) they use:

Frutiger Black Condensed

Frutiger Black Italic

Frutiger Bold

Frutiger Bold Condensed

Frutiger Bold Italic

Frutiger Condensed

Frutiger Extra Black Condensed

Frutiger Italic

Helvetica Neue Black Condensed

Helvetica Neue Bold

Helvetica Neue Bold Condensed

Helvetica Neue Condensed

Helvetica Neue Heavy

Helvetica Neue Light

Helvetica Neue Medium

Helvetica Neue Roman

Easier to just summarize the font usage: All of the Metro verbage, legends, map names, Headlines and subheads are in Helvetica Neue except for the front cover panel. On the front panel.. Virgina and Washington, D.C., Metro System Route Map, FREE, Includes bus and commuter rail services operated by local governments, SEP 2009... for some reason they did that in Frutiger. Everything on the bottom of the panel.. INFORMATION ANYTIME... opens doors is all in Helvetica Neue. All content within the maps, street names, bus route numbers, park names... ect ect, those are done in Frutiger.

Last thing just to be thorough, Myriad-Roman is used—but not really. There are 24 spaces done in Myriad but no letters, characters or anything visible. Those are on the Virgina map in the Westfields area by (28). Some completely useless additional information for you.

Cheers

• 1 decade ago

There are several DC Metro Maps.

You need to give the specific one you are asking about.

For instance, National Reality has one, and it has different fonts in the write up and on the map itself.

(more than 1 type of font in the write up).

This is my help from Washington, D.C. United States of America.

Please pick a "Best Answer", even if it is not mine.

That way we can tell if we really do help people.

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

For the most part, yes. Most of the crime takes place in the parking lots, and much of it is break-ins and vandalism. There are occasionally assaults, but they tend to take place at night. Even some of the suburban stations aren't particularly safe. One of the northern stations in Montgomery County has a ramp on one side of the exit and a set of stairs on the other, and that can be problematic if you don't know what awaits you at the top. I have a friend who lives in Gaithersburg and she tells me the area has had a spike in crime. As long as you are not traveling alone and you use common sense, you should be okay.

• 4 years ago

You raise some good points here.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Never gave this much thought

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.