What is going on with Howard?

I've never seen him like this. He isn't in a slump...he's actually hitting pretty well. But I would say about 90% of his hits over the last few weeks have been singles. I'm definitely not complaining, but I'm completely stumped. Where are the home runs? He isn't even hitting fly balls,... show more I've never seen him like this. He isn't in a slump...he's actually hitting pretty well. But I would say about 90% of his hits over the last few weeks have been singles. I'm definitely not complaining, but I'm completely stumped. Where are the home runs? He isn't even hitting fly balls, and almost nothing has been remotely close to leaving the park. He's ripping some line drives, but he just isn't driving the ball like he's capable of.

The singles are great, but the Phillies need this guy to hit home runs. They don't play small ball, they live off of power. So...any theories?
Update: Yeah, my original thought was that they might be pitching him differently. But even if that's true, there's no way he would have this few homers..
Update 2: Rod Barajas...wow. Baseball has been crazy lately. That guy didn't do sh*t when he was in Philly, and now all of a sudden he's hitting like that?
8 answers 8