Who actually said, "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes true"?

And what is the actual wording?

Favorite Answer

"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." Often attributed to Vladimir Lenin. William James said something similar: "There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it."

• Janice

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axC8f

You can state what ever you wish but unless you can prove it in some way shape or form people are not going to believe it BUT how ever let me use this example. I am going into battle with 200 against 2 hundred thousand if I can send 1 scout ahead to deter the enemy into believing I have millions of men and all they have to do to believe this is peer over a hill to see millions of silloutes in the distance this could appear as fact. This guy could be telling the truth but at a closer glance from my 200 men's perspective the 2 million men are actually dummies plastic figures who is to know the difference. You see my meaning stating a fact which is based on lie can be seen as the truth. This can be used to control deceive and lie. This has been done many times in history. I can't remember exactly who but a Chinese warrior deterred hundreds of thousands of men by having his small army shout loud as hell to resemble a bigger army this warrior defended his area from invasion without raising a sword. Amazing how the mind misses what's right under its nose. brilliant when used correctly

• Hung Qh3 years agoReport

May be you're talking about Zhang Fei? :v
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhang_Fei

William James (1842-1910) The father of modern Psychology "There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it."

Sadly, I have know those who believe this wholeheartedly.....somehow, I wasn't touched by it.

Source(s): Wikipedia
    • j6 years agoReport

"If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will come to believe it yourself. " Joseph Geobbels. Proaganda Minister to Adolph Hitler

I heard it was Hitler. I guess it's true, that truth gets lost when rumors proliferate. And so we, relying on our "First Amendment" to bring out the truth by allowing "fair comments and opinions", have created a society entirely based on lies. Remember that the word "beLIEf", contains a lie.

Ann Onimous

Roger Ailes when in the Nixon Admin.

There is no evidence that Lenin ever said such a thing. Nor did Goebbels (the other person often credited with this remark) say it either.

Source(s): Source? There is no source since both attributions are false.
    • Mitchina3 years agoReport

German Propaganda Archive: Fabricated Nazi Quotations
      http://bytwerk.com/gpa/falsenaziquotations.htm

No one has ever sourced that quote to any specific individual. It's more common knowledge than anything else - as it is a true statement as evidenced by our present era of politics.