Zelda
Zelda asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 1 decade ago

Is this a bad move from a parent?

I had a friend who once told me that when he was in college, his parents asked to borrow 800 dollars from them. They DID say they would pay him back.

Shortly after, they went to a casino and won 1600 dollars. When he asked for his money back they basically told him that he is 18 and should be helping anyway and if he kept asking then he would be kicked out.

Who's right?

I promise they are not lousy people. They just have their stupid moments.

• Maleah
    Favorite Answer

Wow! Kinda sounds like the story of my life but I didn't have to borrow money I had worked to save up the money so that I could pay for college and such... My parents borrowed money (A larger amount than $800.) And it has been almost five years and my parents have yet to pay me back...

Of course the parents are in the wrong... From experience, this, if it hasn't already, will cause major problems with their relationship. Sadly, I mentioned it to my parents when I was buying my house and that has almost been a year and they have not spoken to me since... Many people have told me that I need to take them to court but I can't imagine taking my own parents to court...

The parents are being totally irresponsible and rotten. First, they borrowed money and went to gamble it at the casino...Losers. Then they won and still wont repay a loan. If they feel their child owes them for all the money they spent raising him then they should not have had children to begin with. They are expensive and parenting is a thankless job. This kid is entering the real world and is learning people use and betray others. It is so sad that the people ripping him off is his own parents. That is disgusting and they should be ashamed of themselves. This could definitely put a rift in the family. Maybe this kid needs to go away to college and leave his loser parents to gamble away the rest of their money. Its sad when kids are more mature then their parents.

He is in the right. Sure they are right about him 18 and needing to pitch in but the way they went about it was horrible. Their adults and they should have known that is not how you treat a son especially when that son loans you 800 bucks! I am one of those parents who believes my kids owe me nothing. I will NEVER throw in their face "well after everything I have done for you you owe me something" Which from an outsiders point of view is exactly what they are doing.

The parents are wrong. The son let them borrow money in good faith, so much for that. Another part of that is, does he pay rent to his parents or help out in any way around the house? If he has been doing NOTHING, then I can see their thinking.

That's a tricky one. I would say the son because they made a verbal deal to pay him back and in not doing so they betrayed his trust.

Although parents do spend much more on their children over the years, I don't think they should be playing the "You Owe Us" card like that.

well, they do pay thousands upon thousands of dollars on him throughout his childhood. the only problem is, he probably NEEDED that money and expected it as a loan. if you are asking your child to "help out" versus "loan", there's a big difference. and if they had the money, and more than the amount they owed, they should have payed him back.

A loan is a loan and should be repaid. If this story is true, these are really lousy parents and people.

the parents are wrong because they said they would pay back, although if they want to teach their son some responsibility they should sit down and talk about it before they enforce it.

obviously you friend is right. it doesnt matter how old anyone is when you borrow something from somebody you have to give it back. espeacially something as big as 800 dollars

LMAO obviously the parents are in the wrong, if they told him they would pay him back.