What is the difference between pain meds we give our dog and the ones a human takes?

I am talking about morphine that we inject our pets and the morphine for human use. I have some leftover and I am, wondering if I should toss it or what.

• kari t
    Best Answer

It's probably the same stuff. My mom used to break up horse antibiotic and give it to us when we were sick.

• Karen

Pain is a physical feeling, like when you break a bone, or get a toothache, or when you go into labor to have a child, even your stomach, when you get hunger pains. This is all connected to your nerves, which act as sensors and send messages to your brain, and you have the physical reaction. Suffering is similar, but not the same thing. Say you have a toothache, that's the pain part of it, but the suffering would come when you can't go to the dentist to have it fixed, and you have to suffer with the pain, and possibly the infection. There are other levels of suffering as well, like when you lose someone you loved very much, the pain of that loss causes your heart to endure this, and it can take a long time to heal, or never heal at all. Suffering happens over a long period of time, or what can seem to be an eternity. Hope this helps, good luck.

The medicine is pretty much the same but you have to remember that the dosage is weighted differently depending on the size of the animal. A tranquilizer for a 50 pound dog is going to be a different dosage than one for a 150 pound human.