Who thinks cloth menstrual pads are disgusting, and who thinks they are just fine and why? Good reasons only?

I've found a lot of odd stigmas surrounding them since I had to switch to them because of skin and chemical allergies. I find it odd because they are much cleaner and safer than the paper ones. The paper ones, in the package, caused a friend of mine to get constant bladder infections around that time of the month, every month, so I made her a set of the cloth ones, and she is fine now. So why on earth do people assume they are dirty or unclean? If you have negative comments about them, have a REALLY good reason behind it no stupid comments. And if you like them, explain why so others can see this question later and get a good answer why they are for the better.

Cotton for top is the best, insides its best if you use bamboo/cotton flannel. Regular pad (3 layers) or heavy flow (up to 10 can be used!). Waterproof cloth can be used to create the bottom/wings, if desired (to ensure no leaking) I personally have never found a need for this mine are cotton/bamboo. Use paper ones as outline. Cloth, if washed and cared for properly, smells like...nothing when wet unlike paper. ALWAYS soak in baking soda water (cold) for up to 4 hours until ready to wash in a plain old bucket, then toss in with their soak water right into the washer, no handling anything icky. Wash in cold w/ no fabric softener in a basic detergent (free and clear etc) then if desired in hot water with no detergent (sanitizes even more and removes detergent residue which can make them less absorbent over time if it builds up). If you get stains use oxyclean. If not ready to wash right away, leave them dry. The more times you wash cloth pads, the more absorbent, unless you get buildup.

• Kasha
    Favorite Answer

I don't think they're gross, hell I was happy as hell to learn about cloth pads and menstrual cups because I knew there had to be better options - I use a menstrual cup, LOVE my cup, but sometimes have to use cloth pads too.

When I went into sexual health I discovered exactly why they're safer and more hygienic than disposables. They're less gross because they're breathable, so they keep you dryer and don't encourage bacterial growth (which is 'gross') - less risk of infections and less odour.

It maddens when there are girls/women saying they hate pads, that they're gross, uncomfortable, like wearing a nappy, etc. when you know they'd feel better if using cloth pads - but they just won't accept the idea. They have other advantages like cool, different colours/patterns, different styles, easy to use, cheaper, greener, extra layers, worn in water, and you have other options like period panties or period belts.

I had to use disposables again for a while, I used Cottons (cotton, not as bad as commercial - I'd NEVER use commercial pads like Always ever again) and even they were uncomfortable - they gather up, stick to you, rub on inside legs, feels damp which is uncomfortable as feels like sitting in your own blood all day, and odour, ugh!

My arguments are thus;

- We reuse our underwear.

- They were good enough for our grandmothers.

- We use reusable nappies because they're so much healthier for baby, if they were unhygienic mothers wouldn't use them and NHS, doctors, nurses, midwives, and governments wouldn't support them so strongly. If cloth is good enough to deal with baby poop, and comfortable enough for babies, then they're good enough for us.

The 'gross' factor comes from advertising for commercial tampons/pads that imply menstruation is dirty so their products are the only way to deal with it, thus in turn implying reusable options cannot or are unhygienic/dirty. I like this article from Scarleteen, very useful;

Eight Myths About Washable Menstrual Pads Dispelled - http://www.scarleteen.com/article/pink/eight_myths...

Mac - yes, they can cause bladder infections.

UTI's are very common with disposable pads, so too are yeast infections. With disposable pads bacteria are multiplying at unhealthy levels for several hours inside a warm moist pad filled with decomposing nutritious menstrual blood, which has a different pH to the vagina, and is outside the body where oxygen can reach the bacteria (perfect bacterial environment). Chemicals in commercial pads can also cause irritation, sensitivity and allergic reaction both to skin and delicate vaginal/vulva mucosa. This is why so many health care professionals recommend cloth pads.

I don't use them, since I'm very happy using a menstrual cup. But I think they're fine. I've heard they're more comfortable than disposables, they're better for the environment, and cheaper in the long run.

I don't think that washing and reusing them is dirty. That's what washing machines are for. We don't throw out our underwear every day, do we?

People are just not used to the idea and not many of them have an open mind. Disposable stuff seems so much easier, especially if it's what you're used to.

So, rock on. Kudos to you for spreading the word about reusable menstrual products!

hmm, wow, i had no idea about that! i never even heard of thought of that idea of cloth pads, the only time i heard even closely to that, was when my mom told me about my gramma using cloth diapers and what a hard time she had with all her kids.

well, if thats true they are cleaner and safer, i take your word for it since this is the first i've heard lol, but if i was to think about, i would personally dislike both kinds since i'm a tampon kind of girl regardless of what ppl hear about how bad they can be for you (i've heard it all) it just makes my life so much easier i hate sitting my my own blood feeling it against my skin or hair (when i have any) thats always going to happen now and then lol. by the way i was not trying to be rude or stupid.

I am not being funny here, but what kind of cloth do you use to make menstrual pads with? Also, what materials, and do you sew it or use pins or anything?

Do you rewash them and do they withstand the test of time?

I have a period and spotting every day and it won't stop, so any help would be cool.......

Source(s): Back in the 1950s my mother used cloth rags for her periods because they lived on a farm and were poor and no stores had pads back in the day except the U.S.
  • Mac

I think it's equivalent to using a paper menstrual pad. It is no more or less disgusting.

Personally i dislike pads altogether, as I can feel their presence and I don't like being bloody. So I use tampons.

Paper pads cannot give you a bladder infection.