LGBT: Can somebody help me to understand homosexuality?

For realz. Gays aren't my cup of tea. I've had bad experiences with gay people. But since I'm a member of the LGBT community I would like to try to understand homosexuals as much as possible. I think they deserve the right to be happy and the sight of two men or women kissing doesn't disgust me but I don't understand homosexuality at all. Like why would 2 people of the same sex want to be together?

I mean what I dont get is how is a gay man happy being a man? Don't you want to reproduce?

@Rainbows:

I'm attracted to men so I identify as straight. If I was attracted only to women I would identify as lesbian.

Favorite Answer

Denver, it is a simple preference. It is just like ice cream flavors. Some people like chocolate, some people like strawberry. There is nothing genetically or physically wrong with gay people. They are just a group of people who like a different flavor than other people.

To put it in your perspective, this is TOTALLY different from transsexualism. You yourself admit you were born with a birth defect. Yes, you can take medical steps to correct your birth defect as much as possible, and I support that. Gay people don't feel wrong for being gay. The being gay part doesn't bother them, it is other people treating them badly that bothers them. They feel they are gay, they feel like they were born rightly as a gay person. You feel that you were born wrong. You are actually bothered by who you are.

The difference is there is something WRONG with you, there is nothing wrong with gay people. (I am not trying to be mean, I am trying to make you see that gay/bi people and trans people are completely different in their source of differentness! This is why many of us don't feel you belong in our community. You should set up your own community for support of your own issues, which are very far removed from ours.

Source(s): I am a lesbian with MANY trans friends.
  • Josuan

In full agreement with the first answerer, I have to say there's not much to understand. Past experiences shouldn't cloud your judgment of all of us. It's the equivalent of a squirrel who get shooed away by humans saying that all humans are evil squirrel haters. Not a good comparison, but I guess that will work for now.

I'm homosexual. I like men. It's my sexual preference. It's the way I am, there's really not much more to it. For the life of me, I cannot visualize myself with a woman, not sexually, not ever.

As a transsexual, I assume you'd understand. Why do you want to be a woman, being born a man? Well, it's just the way it is.

I'm not sure that helps 100%, but it should get you on the road to understanding.

• David

I have desire for men, because that's who I am. I'm attracted to men. I'm gay. There really isn't that much to explain. I'm just born that way. Plus, I like being a man, so I wouldn't want to change my gender. And why wouldn't I want to be gay? Because God hates me? Because of Society's opinion on homosexuality? I don't feel anything like that. And If I want a child, I can just adopt one. Really, the fact that I can have sex without impregnating someone is the good part about gay sex. xD

That's just the way some people are, that's all you need to understand. Gay people are just attracted to the same sex, that's the way they are in the same way that you're attracted to the opposite sex. It's not something you can change any more than they can.

There are other ways to have kids that don't involve being in a heterosexual relationship, like artificial insemination or adoption, and one day there might even be more ways.

Some people are born attracted to girls, some are born attracted to boys. I am a boy who was born with an attraction to other boys... therefore I'm a homosexual. If a girl is born with an attraction to other girls. She is normally referred to as a lesbian. If a guy is born with an attraction to girls or a girl is born with an attraction to boys there are referred to as to BOTH boys AND girls... they are called bisexuals :)heterosexual or Straight. Any questions?

Opps cant forget... If a boy or a girl is born with an attraction

I was born a guy... thats just who I am and I love who I am. I cant reproduce. The only letter in LGBT that CAN have kids is B lol. I plan on adopting someday though, and giving some children a loving home. I dont need to reproduce to have a family.

thumbs down........... why? I thought this pretty much summed it up.

I don't really think homosexuality needs to be taught in schools, because hetrosexuality isn't. I think it would open up the floor for mockery and other bad things. I'm not saying we shouldn't educate on it, we should. I'm pro gay rights and I really believe in a lot of things. In social studies, we learnt about gay rights and a lot of that, so I think it's just as important to educate about rights as we do for blacks, aboriginals, and women. Sexual education needs to touch on how to have safe sex with same sex partners for sure.

Well, sometimes there are simple reasons, and then there are more complicated ones. Sometimes, its because men can find more comfort in another man then they can with a woman. It's the same with some lesbian couples. People of the same sex often understand your problems better than people of an opposite sex.

• Sky

That's a good step you're taking trying to understand homosexuals instead of just maintaining ignorance about them. I used to be the same way, not understanding why two people of the same sex could be attracted to each other. Of course as a guy it was always a turn on to see two women together, but two guys was just something I couldn't wrap my mind around. Then one day it clicked.

I was driving along one day, don't know why I was thinking about it, but I suddenly realized that homosexual people are no different than heterosexual people because they fall in love with the person, not what's between the legs. The gender of the other person influences whether or not that individual finds them attractive initially, but it's not like a guy falls in love with another guy's penis. He falls in love with the person, who happens to also be male. Same for women who are attracted to women; they are attracted to females, but the one they love as a mate they fall in love with for who she is, not her vagina. For the homosexual couple, to be in love with and make love with someone who is their same sex is what feels most comfortable to them. They aren't attracted to people of the opposite sex for the same reason heterosexual people aren't attracted to people of the same sex: it's not what they feel in their hearts.

A homosexual person can be completely comfortable and happy with his or her own gender. Gender identity and sexuality are independent things. There are M2F transgendered people who are attracted to women or to men, and likewise for F2M transgendered people.

A person's interest in having kids is also independent of their sexuality. Some people (like me) want absolutely nothing to do with children. Some people want nothing in the world more than to have kids and raise a family. For homosexual couples that desire has its difficulties, but that is remedied by things like adoption, artificial insemination, invitro fertilization, etc. If they don't want kids they never have to give it a second thought.

Source(s): I know what it's like to be totally not understood by others

denver... seriously?? u surprise me. do u even accept urself as a transgendered person? do u understand that?

why do people question homosexuality. it should just be accepted. nothing is more natural than having feelings for someone else... regardless of their gender.

u need to read the book i gave my mum. understanding homsexuality. NOT EVEN ALL STR8 PEOPLE WANT KIDS. come on denver... open ur mind.

Well denver, its like asking you why you are a girl in a guys body.. you can't say why its just how it is.

Denver I might come off as rude but I want to ask you something I do not understand about transexuals..

You're a girl in a guys body right.. well are you attracted to men or woman

are you identified as a lesbian if you like girls